Thursday, December 23, 2010

Grandmother And Her Insulin Fuck Up My Plans

Like I said earlier this morning ... I knew this was going to happen.  After her friend "instructed" her on how to inject herself with the insulin -- she actually was fazed that the pen injector was different from hers, so I just took out the manual and followed those instructions -- Grandmother asked me ... no, actually she kind of told me ... to do this again for her dinner tonight.

Goddamn, my plans!!!  You're fucking up my plans!!!  I need to take my parents, sister and brother-in-law to the airport.  From there, I thought I'd stay at the mall a little bit to shop and make sure there isn't a flight delay that would force me to go back to the airport and pick them up.  From there, I'd go to the Walker and meet up with my friend for dinner and to the British TV Advertising Awards.

But now, I have to use waste my time and spend considerable gas (it's $3.06 right now!  The price is going up like gold!!) to go all the way from the airport, which is in the southern suburbs, up to our house in the northern suburbs, just to administer to and try to teach Grandmother her insulin shot.  And I have to do all of this while fighting afternoon rush traffic.

This is so extraneous -- an extra 40 miles and 30 minutes just for a goddamn shot?!  I mean, can't Grandmother go without one for just this day??  Hearing her say that she wants me to come home for this riled up the usual feelings of anger and helplessness and loss of time that has always pissed me off.  And I wanted to yell and scream and throw things, like the remote control I threw last night after I saw the instructions for the insulin injection.

But ... I knew where this was going to lead.  I knew that this was a pain in the ass that I would forget the next day.  And, of course, I have to think about the health of my Grandmother.  I needed some space away from her, and I needed to stop hearing her talk in Chinese and broken English about things I couldn't understand, so I went into my room to clear my head and then think.

But I knew all along what I had to do: After dropping off the family, I have to go home to give her the shot.  Simple as that.  Grandmother did offer to do this at 2, just before we left, but she had her first shot at 8:30, and it's not smart to do that.  I mean, 2-ish is not dinner.  So I'm coming home.  I will get angry that while in traffic, I will waste a good quarter of my tank of gas, and it might take me an hour.  But if this is what I need to do in order to keep my Grandmother healthy, I will do it.

And I will forget all of this by the weekend.  Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment