Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Forgot I Forgot About Something Tuesday Night

In my dark night of the soul after I learned that I was about to lose a lot of my income, I went to Walgreen's to pick some medication for My Father, who forgot to pick them up on his way home.  I was going to work out, so it was on the way to the gym.

Earlier that evening, I had finally opened up the American Express letter that I had left unopened for so long.  Ever since I got it, the part of the brain I devoted to thinking about it concluded that it was probably nothing.  But, knowing that my luck probably changed as a result of my bad news, I had to finally open it.  It was, in fact, a bill.  I had completely forgotten that I designated my AmEx card as the one to automatically charge my annual renewal to ESPN The Magazine.  And the bill was due on Valentine's Day.  And the hits just keep on coming.

I wanted to call them before dinner, but I didn't have the time.  Since I was at Walgreen's, and there was a possibility I would have to wait, I decided to bring the bill with me.  When I parked at the drug store, I took it with me.  No use bringing it if I didn't have it with me while I waited inside.

Well, I didn't have to wait.  I just walked up to the counter and within a minute somebody ended her phone call and tended to me.  Unfortunately, there were problems picking up Father's medication.  There has always been problems picking up Father's meds at Walgreen's; usually, I'm told insurance won't pay for them.  I have to tell Father to do something about it, which he does, and then everything's alright ... only for the same shit to happen again the next time I need to pick them up.  It doesn't help that customer service here is surly and uncooperative.  My Father made this my pharmacy when I got pain medication after I got my wisdom teeth removed.  Bad idea, and I should change them one day.  At least I didn't get anybody surly this time around; the woman who helped me was nice.

There was no way to fix this now, so I just bolted.  I did achieve my goal of getting to the community center before 8; just after dinner Father was in this bad mood and strangely demanded I work out only for an hour.  Yeah, fuck that shit.

Anyway, when I turned off my car I gathered the things I left on the passenger seat.  But something was missing.  Where did I leave my AmEx statement?  I thought it may have slipped to the side of the seat while I was turning, but it wasn't there.  A couple minutes later, I realized that I left it on the counter at Walgreen's while taking off.

I thought about going back there immediately ... but no, I don't want to.  I didn't think there was any information, besides my credit card number of course, that somebody could use against me.  I mean, they would need the expiration date and the security code, neither of which is on the bill.  Fuck it, I said to myself, I'll get it tomorrow, when I run errands.

I did get it yesterday, but there is another story in that.

The only thing that bothers me is that I didn't have to leave my bill at Walgreen's.  In fact, I didn't have to be there at all because I wasn't able to get the medicine for My Father.  And now I had to go back to retrieve something at a place I didn't need to go to in the first place.

My mind on my loss of money, and my loss of money on my mind. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment