Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Kind Of Done With Five Guys

About a year ago, there were three new burger joints that opened up in the Twin Cities area: Burger Jones, a restaurant created by a local hospitality giant; Smashburger, a Denver-based burger place; and Five Guys, headquartered in Virginia and favorite of President Obama.  Of the three places, I like Smashburger's burgers the best, but it's kind of inconvenient to go their nearest branch; it's about 15 minutes away, but I'd have to go to that part of town just for that, and I usually don't do that.

Today was the second time I went to Five Guys because there's a place at the U., so I can go there and then to "work."  It's on the way.  I like that.  What I don't like are, well, everything else.  I mean, it's good.  But:
  • Once again, their hamburger was sloppy, and all the toppings fell out of the bottom when I started eating it.  I hate that.
  • And it was huge.  I had the "Little Hamburger" and I'm fairly certain it topped 800 calories.
  • As much as the "Little Hamburger" was big, the regular order of fries were even bigger.  Five Guys gives you a ridiculous amount.  I got a cup, and just as many fries were lying on the bottom of the bag.  I should not be eating that many fries.  I was eating the rest of the fries while I was in the middle of the hearing lab, for crissake.  Took me an hour to finish them.
  • I got both items, plus a Coke, for $8.81, I think.  While that's in line with what I pay for at Smashburger (maybe less), the food isn't good enough for that price point.  As lame as this is to say, McDonald's is still all right with me.
In other words, this might be the last time I eat there.

I was debating whether or not to get Five Guys today because I knew I would be beyond full.  I ate this the afternoon after finishing my brother's birthday cake (with a glass of milk) overnight, which I ate after having a very early dinner of meat and pork and a lot of other good shit.  I don't plan on exercising after dinner tonight, and Grandmother might shove a banana in front of me later this evening.  In other words, I am in the middle of a long line of eating shit that may not be good for me, and packing on weight I might not be able to shed until I work out tomorrow.

And the feeling that I was losing weight because my pants fit better may have been because of the pants.  I changed to jeans for the week, and my stomach feels damnably tight.

It's cold outside, and I got coffee a half-hour ago because I wanted to warm up.  But I'm so full that I didn't feel like drinking it till just now.  It's tepidly warm -- won't warm me up at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment