Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mother And Father Being Mother And Father Tonight

Told parents during dinner that I won't be eating at home Monday. Mother asks why. Told her I'm hanging out with my friend who recently broke up with his girlfriend. Didn't tell them the real reason: Want to go to this houseparty and see if I can show a stripper there my cock.

Mother then asks me why don't I use the holiday to try and find a girlfriend? "Not a good day," I say.

She's been on my ass for not trying to find someone, especially now that my brother and sister are married. So she goes, "Are you a boy or a girl?"

I'm trying, really, really hard, to chalk up that comment to not knowing English. I just said, "Some days I don't know" when I should've just fuckin' clocked her in the face.

And after dinner we spoke to each other like nothing happened.

---

In another of his hare-brained, get-rich-quick-via auction pipe dreams, Father showed me this brass pot he says is from the Ming Dynasty. He wanted to sell it because he says it'd bring a shitload of money, so one day some time ago he asked me to take pictures of it.

I didn't think too much of it because I didn't take him seriously (still don't). Because I'm not a master of lighting, there is a heavy shadow on the other side of the one where Father was shining a light. I've done this before for him on other items he thought were valuable, so I could've stopped him and told him we need to light this better and snap another photo, or maybe even tell him I'll do it during the day. But I didn't because, I'm guessing, I wanted to go back to bed.

A week ago he wanted to send pictures for appraisal and, hopefully, sale. So I was preparing to review these pictures when I remembered that they weren't good photos. But then I looked a little closer and found another reason they weren't good photos: They're out-of-focus. How can a camera take out-of-focus pictures? I thought that ended with the death of the film camera.

Good thing I asked him yesterday where the pot was. I really needed to re-take photos now. So I took it out of its hiding place, put it on Mother's office table (like I did with the other supposedly-expensive items Father has and displays around the house), and re-took photos. I then took my camera to Target to get prints of the photos I snapped today and from before with help from Father.

Unfortunately, when I previewed them on the big Kodak machine they have at Target, I saw that the photos I made today were also out-of-focus. Is the problem that I'm too close? Do I need to change the settings on the camera? Should I have taken the pics with my glasses on so I was sure they'd be in focus? Well, too fucking late; I printed them all out anyway. I put it in an envelope and left it at his computer for him.

After dinner, he came upstairs with the pictures. Father and Mother were talking to each other at a level that made me think they were talking about me but didn't really want me to overhear. I hate when they do that.

So I had to know. I confronted Father in the kitchen while he was washing dishes: "Do you like the photos? I can do it again." To which he replied he was OK with them ... but the pot had to be shot in front of a black or a white background. I agreed with him, but I don't know why. If he has a problem with the photos I took today, he should man up and say so. Did he understand what I was trying to do? Did I really understand what he was saying?

I really didn't until later in the evening, when he made me type out a letter to this auctioneer for him (no address ... he never has one; how can I type up a proper letter without an address?) and made me stuff the pictures into the envelope. Except he didn't want to send the pictures I took by myself today. It's that kind of rejection that quintessentially marks my relationship with him.

But then he pays me back for the prints and gives me more money to send it, and we continue to speak to each other like nothing happened. I should be more pissed off. But maybe nothing did happen.

But maybe, just in case, I'll go and work out over the weekend after thinking I'll just stay home to keep the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment