Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Color-Changing Straw

So I'm leaving McDonald's after lunch. I look down and see that my straw's blue-green. The Coke tasted like Coke, and I looked inside the cup while I was walking outside to make sure the lights inside didn't deceive me. And it looked Coke-colored.

But the straw was this weird color which rubbed off when I touched it. Weird. I put the lid back on and slurped, and the color reappeared. After wiping the straw again, I finally got it: The straw changed color depending on the temperature -- blue-green when it's cold, normal white when it's not. Even when I was at "work" and the Coke was virtually room temperature by the time I finished, I looked inside to see the very bottom of the straw was still a fairly vivid blue-green color.

So how in the fuck did I get a color-changing straw at McDonald's? I don't know. Is this some phantom marketing move McD's did, or did some random guy -- or saboteur -- plant this straw?

I'm not sick, at least not right now. I just want to note here that if anything happens to me, that I drank from a straw that changed color depending on temperature. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. I am currently drinking iced coffee from McDonalds and noticed my straw is pink-red!! I thought it was some sort of dye and freaked out. TRied to wipe it off with a napkin but it ddin't come off. Just realized it was temperature sensitive too. Funny its a different color though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine turned blue, my hubby's turned yellow. Is this something new, and how widespread is this. I'm in Sacramento, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are for the new monopoly ad campaign. I just noticed my is purple. I find them pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I just found your blog after a co-worker came in with a pink straw, we thought you "How in the fuck..." was hilarious... a great start to the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monopoly?! Today I saw that they're bringing the game back this week. So *that's* why all the straws change colors!

    Thanks for letting me and us know what's going on. And thank you all for commenting on this. Seriously, I think you guys are the first strangers ever to read my blog!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a smiliar experience. My straw turned blue and I was totally confused. I opened the cup to make sure they didn't give me blue power-aid, even though it tasted like Coke. I went home and googled it just to make sure I wasn't crazy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son got a pink one and I got the yellow, the other day. I'm actually Googling to see if I can find some for purchase, my boys liked them so much! (That's how I found your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if they're going to do this again the next time they launch a Monopoly game. How often will they do that?

    Thanks again for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete