Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Ways My Grandmother Frustrated The Hell Out Of Me Today

  • It's fine if I wake up with her not in the house, though with her age I'm always scared that she, like, fell in the laundry room or something. I certainly am kind of miffed when I'm woken from my sleep by a phone call that's inevitably from her. I do kind of mind that she finally comes home with a bunch of food that we'll never get to eat that she bought in bulk at Sam's Club. I should add that I wouldn't mind so much if my parents didn't constantly complain that she buys food that goes to waste all the time, but since they're sick of what she does, I have to be perturbed. She did buy a lot of food that no one's going to eat, though.
  • I should be thankful that either her or her longtime friend -- who used to cut my hair when I was really young -- volunteered to buy me lunch. It was there, however, that she comes in with a problem in the house: There's a leak underneath the kitchen sink, and while I was sitting down to eat nice Chinese buffet food, she told me that she had to pour out all the dirty water that dropped into the bowl under the pipe. So I had to delay mowing the backyard to investigate this "leak." I soon heard that there was an actual ongoing leak in the basement, specfically onto my Grandmother's (I have another one, long story) altar. It's been there a long time, so I had to push the cups and dishes out of the way so I could place this fairly large plastic tub on it to collect the water. There was a lot of it when I drained it after I mowed the lawn. So now I had to deal with this other problem which I couldn't solve. Father didn't get bent out of shape when I broke the news to him later.
  • I didn't plan on taking the car out because I thought I'd just stay at home, mow the lawns, maybe walk to the coffeeshop to work on some blogging, then come home and eat and go to sleep and shit. But one thing she bought was an extra rotisserie chicken. Out of the blue, Grandmother asked me to take out the car and bring that over to my aunt and uncle's as a gift. That sets off a whole chain reaction of alternative plans for the night: Now that I am using the car, and since Father might be pissed off that he has to fix yet another thing around the house, I thought I might as well keep it out and go to the gym tonight, even though it was for an hour because I was late in leaving the house because dinner was so late because Father had to fix the leak underneath the kitchen sink.
  • I kind of snapped at her when I just got back into the house to open the garage door to put back the lawnmower because she immediately reminded me again that she wanted me to bring the rotisserie chicken to my aunt and uncle's, and then she asked me to take this huge box with the lid off that she took out of Sam's Club to carry all the food she bought downstairs for her. It's not a big deal, but hitting me with annoyances kind of sets me off. It didn't help that just before I got stung by two mosquitoes even though I put DEET on me before I started mowing this afternoon; do you have to reapply DEET every couple hours like sunscreen? I thought you were good until you washed it off.
That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment