Friday, February 4, 2011

Members Of The Media Under Attack Again

Why in the fuck are people so quick to shoot the messenger? First of all, out of the blue, pro-Hosni Mubarak forces (they just showed up en masse eight days after protests on their own, huh?) try to kill Egyptians marching to force him from power while on horseback and camelback, and include reporters as targets. And they went after them viciously, dude. And then, on Kimmel, I see that some asshole fed up with the snow in Chicago be rude to a weatherman while on camera.

What's the matter with you stupid people? You don't like it when someone's seeking the truth? OK, most members of the media are narcisstic. But that doesn't mean they're not professional. Reporters know that they are the observers for this world, and I'm certain that the international, big-time ones are serious when they go out onto the street and try to show viewers -- or at least people who have enough intelligence and moral decency -- the world we live in as accurately as possible. Those who want to ridicule and even murder them are too afraid to confront reality at best, have something to hide at worst.

You know, I stopped pursuing the profession of reporting because of shit like this. Bringing the news of the world to an ever-dwindling viewership isn't worth the stranger abuse I know I would get, and is exemplified in the events of the past 36 hours or so. I mean, life's too short.

But then, another part of me gets really, really pissed off over what I see. A part of me wants to get back to reporting. If they are mocking, attacking and even trying to murder people, who's going to show the world what's really going on? Government officials? Rebel forces getting paid to kill? PR people? Reality stars? Fuck them!

These are the times that prove that journalism is a necessary and noble calling. I may not have the stones to attempt to make a career out of it, but now more than ever I am proud of graduating with a journalism degree. I like to think that that proves that I won't close my eyes on the world and hope that the bad things go away. As bad as it is, and as tough as it is to uncover it, knowing the truth is a basic human right, and I applaud and appreciate all the brave women and men who make it their calling to seek it, at the risk of ridicule, limb and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment