Thursday, April 15, 2010

The People Who Humiliate Themselves By Dressing Up Like The Statue Of Liberty

I should blog about this because after Thursday/today/Tax Day, they'll be gone. ...

It was about a month ago when I was driving and saw this person in a turquoise robe. As I crossed the intersection I saw the pointy-headed foam hat he had on and realized that he was dressing up like Lady Liberty. A little later I got that this man was in costume for a tax company.

I keep seeing these people on the sides of streets, waving at drivers, all day and night, regardless of whether it's hot or cold, windy or dry, raining or snowing. All of them are black, so I'm assuming the company hired people really quickly for dirt cheap, just to wave to strangers driving really fast past them in an effort to advertise their company's tax services.

First I felt sorry for them. Disproportionally represented race-wise, these guys were hired to do the shittiest work you could find without getting really, really dirty. The self-debasement of putting on a really silly costume and stand at a corner all day to look like a fool for a tax company ... there's just something wrong with that. And I doubt such advertisement works except to raise the possibility someone will recognize you and have their image of you changed irrevocably. Man, I thought, I'm so glad I'm not them.

But then I thought, Well, they're getting paid, right? People gotta work, and if these poor people can only find work smiling in a cheap Statue of Liberty custome, well, so be it. I mean, it could be worse -- they could be shovelling shit, or working in a cubicle. And let's just say you don't have to have a master's degree to do this. Hell, you probaly don't have to show up on time, either. I'm laughing at them? They're the ones who are employed, not me. I should be envious.

Whatever. They're out of a job as of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment