Monday, August 31, 2009

Is My Car On The Downcycle Again?

First I was driving my car on low oil.  Then last night the radio antenna wouldn't retract; it stood erect and kept making this grinding noise.  Now, whenever I turn my engine on, even though I turned my radio off, the antenna makes this noise -- sort of like the one it makes when it retracts after I turn the radio off, but noisier and more broken-sounding.  I tried turning the radio on and all it does is make a louder noise.  Either way it eventually goes away, and the radio works fine, but now the antenna is sticking out.

This will be the second time the antenna on my car wouldn't go down.  The last time, though, was better because even though it didn't recede into my car's body, it didn't make any grinding noise.  That makes me scared that I caused it.  And not just by turning my radio on and off all the time, because I'm picky about what I listen to.  This happened two days after I saw my low oil level light stay on as long as I've ever seen it.  I believe that bad things can happen in bunches, and I believe one bad thing can cause another.  Now, does it mean that I think my bad antenna will cause something else in or on my car to go wrong?  Well, no, it's just the antenna ... but then again, yes, I think it could.

This is like 2004 (I think; it could've been 2005), when that squealing sound from under the hood turned into my timing belt tearing, which led to the transmission blowing up six months later, then me deciding to get the rust removed from the top of my windshield the following spring because those fly-by-night companies boasting that they can change your broken windshield while you're at work fucked up by not priming my car.  God, I hope this isn't the start of a snowball of disasters for my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment