Monday, August 31, 2009

So I was chillaxin' at the State Fair.  Wanted to go see Kelly Clarkson, but as the world knows by now and as I overheard the local Top 40 station over its live mic just as I got past the gate, she cancelled.  Boo.

I decided to hit a coffeehouse before going home.  Went to my usual spot in Uptown.  Went upstairs but found a bit of a crowd -- hmmm, for a Sunday night?  Saw a sign next to a wall: "Meetup, Nice New People."

But I kept going back and forth deciding which table I wanted to sit at.  Then from the room of the "Meetup, Nice New People" sign, one guy motioned to me.  He gave me that one finger curling towards him, palm away gesture.  Now, maybe I'm taking it a little harder than I should, but that looked to me a bit antagonistic.  I looked at him thinking, "Is he really doing that, to me?"  But he did once, twice, three times. 

So I finally pop my head to the the threshold of the doorway and say something I think was not aggressive but showed my relative annoyance; "I'm sorry, do I know you?"  In retrospect I guess that doesn't make sense.  But he said that I could take any open chairs where he and his group were sitting because they were about to leave.  I sort of declined the offer, sort of said I don't mind waiting until they were ready to go.  Less than five minutes later they left.

I made a point of making eye contact and saying goodbye to the guy who offered up his space once he departed.  But I think I made the right move in waiting until they left before I sat in one of their tables.  Taking a man's nice gesture the wrong way kind of proves I'm not a nice person.

No comments:

Post a Comment