Thursday, May 13, 2010

EBay Fail

I don't like competing. I like fighting if I get to the point where I don't care if I win or lose; I just wanna fuckin' hurt somebody to make my point then, no matter how badly I get beat. But constantly having to risk your manhood in order to win something? If I'm investing in something I want but have to work to get it, I'm hardly invested.

I want to get a good deal on a new satellite radio receiver because I'm convinced the old one's busted. Instead of going to XM or even Google Shopping, I thought, Why not head over to eBay and get it for even cheaper?

So I did. Already I find it heady and a little frustrating. I'm trying to look just for cheap receivers and I continually have to look past accessories. I also can't find information I need, specifically if I can or cannot use the car kit I have for other receivers.

Regardless, I had my heart set on a very old, cheap, but unused receiver. With a new car kit and everything, my first bid was, like twelve bucks. The next two days I was outbid, but I put in a new bid to claim the top spot.

I learned from a girl I worked with once that when an auction's about to close, there's a huge rush amongst all the buyers to get the last bid in. When you think you have the item you want but learn you were outbid at the end, it's called "sniping." I didn't want to be sniped.

The auction for the receiver ended at 7:30 Tuesday. I almost forgot because I ate dinner for a long time and then watched Dancing With The Stars. But I got to eBay to see the auction closing within two minutes.

I've seen a couple auctions' last minutes, so I wasn't completely surprised that I had to put in some numbers and confirm my new bid again and again. But I didn't know eBay coded a new feature whereby a window popped up giving you a "1-Click Bid." That saves you from punching numbers in. However, with time running short -- and with my laptop running slow (damn you, laptop or modem or both!) I just fuckin' decided I was going to go above the next-highest incremental bid and just blow my opponent out of the water with a bid. I wanted that receiver.

So instead of clicking "1-Click Bid" I drag the cursor on the "Amount Bid" field. I had to erase the current high bid that was on that field, so I held down the left button on my mouse and dragged it left to blue up the field. But does it ever happen to you where you do that and once you lift your finger from the button the colored field goes from the cursor to the direction you want to color to the exact opposite fucking side?!?! That's what happened here. Some fucking how, some fucking way, the field to the right of the cursor turned blue. Since the cursor was on the cents place on the field, when I typed in my killer bid, it turned out, like, "29.003050" something. I thought for a second I was putting in a bid for $300, so I stopped, and when I saw what the fuck happened, I quit. The counter went down to 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... and that was it. I lost.

Fucking eBay. Fucking cursor. Fucking mouse. Fucking weird touch sense totally fucking betraying what I wanted. Fucking laptop. Fucking modem. And goddamn, how do I hate competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment