Monday, May 31, 2010

Wishing You A Memorable, Remarkable, And Infinite Summer

A double-whammy of days of the year that I think are special only to me. Friday around the end of the 9-to-5 workweek means the Start Of Summer. Remember how you felt at the last bell of the last day of school? That's what Friday meant to me. Freedom. A carefree life. No obligations. Of course, since I don't have a job I felt that way all year, but no matter. There's something special about summer. It's a time where you can pause and reflect and just live. No worries in the world, at least theoretically.

The end of this day is the start of something that makes Summer a little more official: When the Memorial Weekend holiday is over tonight, it's June 1. June, not May. May is a pretty hot month, but you have school then. June's a summer month, so once we wake up tomorrow -- OK, you guys wake up, I'll still be up -- it'll truly, truly feel like summer, moreso than it does during this holiday.

At one moment when I was walking around the Megamall Friday, pondering the start of yet another summer, I was struck with an epiphany: I was bored, and scared. Bored because there were a lot of other things I could do with myself at this point, and walking around the Mall Of America lost some, thought not all, of its joy. And scared because, again, even though I'm unemployed, it feels like I've been unmoored by society. No one's watching me because everybody's taken off for the summer.

It's a relaxed beat, but there's an invitation for disaster. Don't know how, I don't even know if I'm right. But there's a certain danger, if not mystery, to this summer. It's usually there anyway, but maybe this one more than ever. Just a feeling.

Anwyay, I hope you guys make the most of the summer. Things aren't so uptight, so if you're not careful things can go very, very wrong. But if you play your cards right, this most enchanting of seasons, the time where you're not in school, could be an indelible one.

For me, I'm totally going against my own advice. I've been in my own summer for too long now, so I think it's time I find a job, and maybe even go back to school. I have an in in regards to the employment front; more details later. I've been unplugged for so long; maybe the summer's the best time to get back into things. Hey, once I'm out of the office or the classroom, it'll still be summer. A nice way to ease back into the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment