Sunday, July 25, 2010

Almost Had An Epically Bad Day Yesterday

I do not function when I'm tired.  I hate that about myself, but when I'm run down not only am I useless, I become dangerous to myself and others.  I didn't hit anybody with my car yesterday ... because I almost lost my car.

I was chilling at this teahouse whose guy was very nice when I dropped by to sample something.  So I was cathing up on my Mafia Wars and hating myself that I was waiting for my laptop to fully charge before I work out (got my workout in, though I had to cut a few corners), so I bolted out the door as soon as it was done.

I don't know about you, but I usually frisk myself before I leave somewhere -- make sure I have my keys, cellphone, wallet, aka The Big Three.  But leaving the tea place I couldn't find my keys.  Where the hell were they?  Checked the table but it wasn't there ... and then I realized that I was really, really tired after I took a nap in my car before getting a drink.

I raced back to my car, and there it was, dangling from the keyhole of the trunk.  After getting out my laptop, I just left my keys there.  That is something I worry about all the time, and I know I'm susceptible to just missing things other people remember to do just because I was exhausted.  I had this huge (but successful) meeting yesterday, and I had nothing to do, and I had all these choices in front of me, and I was tired so I took a nap ... and then this happened.

I was not in the safest neighborhood.  I was certain that someone saw the keys and took my car.  I laid out free bait, for God's sake.  For a few seconds there I even forgot where my car was and I actually assumed it was stolen.  (That's when I reached for my cell to start calling 911.)  But either people didn't notice it, people saw it but knew they couldn't get away with it, or people there were nice, since the keys were still there.  It was there over an hour.

I got so goddamn lucky last night.  But the bad thing about this is, I know I will do this again.  Because there is nothing I can do to stop my forgetfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment