Saturday, July 31, 2010

Update On My Internet Problems

The latest silver bullet -- and the thing I need to turn my mood from upset to happy in an instant, like cocaine -- is this fix-it patch.  Maybe what I'm dealing with is a Vista problem, and this patch is supposed to reconcile the DHCP ... oh, I don't fuckin' know, I just did, and now it works.

However ... while I am so fucking overjoyed that my laptop is connected to the Internet and I could all the surfing I need to do, I'm still holding my breath that this is not over.  First of all, there's the home network I have to deal with.  I tried to mess with it today before going out with my friend to the horsetrack.  As has been the pattern, the modem is completely on the blink all night but OK during the day.  Inbetween catching up on my Internet stuff, I looked and saw that my parents' desktop didn't say it was on our home network, but instead some generic-named public network.  Neither of my parents didn't seem to notice because they could just get on.  But when I looked for our network, I didn't see it listed.  What scares me is that this systemic collapse of the home network is due not to just one but more than one problem.  I hope to God my laptop's now good, but this has nothing to do with the desktop or the modem.

The other thing is something I just realized.  How could I download this patch if I wasn't able to connect to the Internet in the first place?  I was able to connect a minute prior to downloading the patch, somehow.  Well, if I could connect, why would I need the patch?  And if the patch fixed the problem for which it was intended, isn't it possible I have a different problem?  In fact, who's to say that if I try this, say, at another coffeeshop, or even at home, it'd go back to not working again?

Fuck.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment