Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Greatest Piece On The Current State Of Politics I've Read In A Long Time

It's from Esquire. Kind of surprised, but I was convinced this magazine was serious about American politics when it published an essay endorsing Barack Obama for President in 2008. Written newspaper board-style by "The Authors," this endorsement is, foremost, well-written, and, better yet, balances both reason and passion. I was convined that Obama was the better candidate; this piece steeled my decision.

Last week, Esquire's Charles P. Pierce delivered an essay about how, in his words, "poisoned" American politics is right now. I have a feeling Pierce was the main contributor behind the Obama endorsement two years ago because this beautifully written piece has the same intellectural rigor, emotional certainty, and impeccable style. Which makes his anger, his pleading that the Republican party has turned into these rabid, over-the-top, belligerent group of teabaggers and teabagger enablers -- and that they're allowed to flourish and even potentially take over government in this fall's elections because of the accomodations of Democrats and the insouciance of the American people -- even more potent and convincing.

This is, quite simply, the truth. And it is persuasive writing at its best. It shakes me from the laziness I've expected in myself and our political system. Please read it; it will do the same to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment