Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How It All Went Down

This stolen mirror is consuming my life.  I have so many other things I need to do right now, yet I feel I can't get to those unless I deal with the mirror first.  Luckily, the part came in today -- these guys are good, and damn fast -- and if it's able to be attached tomorrow, my parents won't know what happened.  That's my goal, and in fact it's my overriding fear, that they'll find out.  Hopefully, you readers, if I have any, are the only ones to know the truth.

I have never missed the MLS Cup, the Super Bowl for the national professional soccer association, Major League Soccer.  Like I did last year, I went to ... I'll keep their name out of it.  I'll just say that it's downtown and I know they'll let me watch the game at the bar in peace.  And they did.

After the game -- it was fantastic, a 2-1 win by Colorado where the deciding goal was an own-goal by the Dallas player -- I decided to walk around downtown a bit.  Haven't been down there, in particular that part of downtown, in a long while.  The theaters were dark, so I walked around there without fear someone I worked with as an usher would spot me.  It was great, a downtown jaunt on a Sunday night on my own.  I could have gone home, but I realized I didn't really want to go home.

But I had to because I saw all that I wanted to see.  So I get in my car, which is parked at a meter.  And I'm just looking around ... and I notice that my driver's-side mirror is gone!  It's just the glass, not the mirror housing too, but the thing I use to look for cars on my left when I change lanes ... well, that's gone.

It was strange.  I looked all around the ground to see if someone just smashed it to bits, or even threw it on the ground after they pried it off.  Upon closer inspection, I don't know if this was a case of vandalism; the teeth that attaches the back of the mirror to the housing was chipped, but beyond that, nothing else was missing.  When I got home and started researching, I learned that, apparently, there is a market for mirror glass.  They're valuable, for some damn reason.  I don't get it.

When I learned that, I harkened back to what I saw walking back to my car.  I don't know why, because I see them all the time, but just before I opened my door I saw a Lexus parked on the other side of the street.  It was green, I think, but besides that it looked like a Lexus, even the same make and model.  "Cool, a fellow Lexus," I thought, before getting in.

When I got out to see where the hell my mirror was, the Lexus was gone.  Oh my God, was it them?  Would they be so brazen, or stupid, to stick around after taking my glass?  And why didn't I go after them?

I feel violated.  I really do.  I thought downtown was safe, but obviously it's not.  And I feel guilty because I do think I could've done something.  Why didn't I get the license of the car across the street?  What would've happened if I didn't walk around downtown and instead got into my car straight from the bar?  Hell, why didn't I just stay home and not watch the game?  I could've prevented this vandalism so I wouldn't have to pay what I have to pay for a new glass.

And why the fuck would somebody just take my glass?  Couldn't they order one?  They broke it off; I have no idea if they'd be able to just attach it to their own car at that point.  Or are they just trying to sell it on eBay?

I keep thinking back to the car.  Goddamn, that was them -- they did it, they stole my mirror.  They were right across the street.  And I let them get away.  What if.  That's all I'm left with, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment