Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just One Of Them Days

So I hit the snooze button a couple times after 10. There is something that I set the alarm for, but I forget because I'm trying to sleep, so it can't be that important anyway.

Grandmother tapped my door. A few minutes in semi-sleep I remember why I set the alarm: I promised Grandmother I would take her to the grocery store after a couple days telling her I had no time. So I get up.

But then Grandmother receives a call; don't worry, she says, my friend will take me, don't worry about it. But I'm all dressed! Then I remember that I needed to get through this online course. Instead of going back to sleep, I might as well take some time hacking my way through it.

So I do that, and I surf on the side. And I fall into that trap of getting sucked into the Interweb. I kept looking at the clock, knowing I have to get to "work" by 1, and I want to eat that new enchilada Taco Bell's hawking on TV. But I had to go to facebook, had to go to MySpace, check up on SI.com and The Big Lead ... and of course I totally forgot about studying.

And then I have ten minutes before noon. I definitely want to hear the start of the Common Man's Progrum at 12, so that's the incentive for me to finally break free from the Internet's seductive grip and go ... except I waited till exactly noon to shut off the computer. I really should've left in time for me to hear his introduction by the time I parked at, say, McDonald's. Even starting the car to his intro would've given me enough time to eat. But I didn't. I didn't have enough time to get to my car; at high noon I was still changing and turned on my radio.

But I didn't hear Common's "Fanfare For The Common Man" montage; it was Brett Favre's weekly press conference. Shoot, I forget that it's always on Wednesdays ... and then I remember that on Wednesdays, I don't come in at 1, I come in at 12:30!!! Oh, now there's no way I can eat. Lucikly I realized that now instead of just after I ordered. I had to bolt out of there. And to think I waited because I wanted to hear his introduction; maybe I would've left earlier if I knew that at high noon there was going to be a press conference featuring an over-the-hill, underperforming dongshower who "um"'s and "ah"'s his way through speaking.

Going the route I take, I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how quickly I get there. This time it took 25 minutes, and then I had trouble finding a parking spot. I was, like, three minutes late when I finally closed the door behind me to run to the lab. But I had to turn back because I have OCD where I need to make sure I lock the doors or else it'll get stolen. I'm in a running frame of mind, so I run the, oh, 20 feet back to my car -- except I hit a crack or uneven part of the sidewalk. I know I tried to regain my balance, but I couldn't. It was the first time in a long time that I really, really fell, like ass-over-teakettle fell, in public. I'm alright -- scraped my left knee and the heel of my right hand really took the force of the fall. Glad no one came right up to me and did a Nelson: "Ha-ha!" (And by the way, I saw that it was locked.)

I should be more embarrassed that the public saw me run like a doofus part of the way to "work." Then again I've always done that. Anyway, I get to the front door of the building. The door is really heavy, one of those that swings back after you swing it open, so you have to make a little bit extra effort to open it. I guess I did, but when I went through the opening, the door starting swinging back and caught the bottom button of my coat. It was loose anyway -- my aunt sewed it back on for me a couple years ago when it first fell off -- but it had to be today where it was torn off. Luckily I heard it and picked it up. It resides in my pocket now.

The final weird thing that happened today (now yesterday) was after I spent a half-hour taking a shit during a break at work. I open up the door to the lab and I immediately see one of the workers there. He's rushing out the door, and I almost hit him, but I barely missed him. In fact, it was if he gave me the minimum space necessary for me to come through the door, except I couldn't come in because he was in the way.

This guy was someone I spoke to one time, but that was a long conversation. He was Chinese and wanted to know if I was born in the States. He wasn't; he's a international student. So I thought I would just say hi because he knew me. Except that he didn't say anything to me after I passed him. It was like he didn't even know me at all. Weird.

I would include the broken garage door, but Father figured out it wasn't broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment