Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Schedule's Up In The Air, Yet He Might Ground Me For Good (I'm Trying To Be Poetic With This Title, But I Think I Failed)

When my temp agency said the guys from the flu biller place wanted me back, my contact told me that some things were going to change this year.  Since my boss was fired, I was brought on earlier to shoulder some of his more menial duties.  Fair warning, fair enough.  More drastically was the hours would change.  Specifically, I would be working 10-hour Wednesdays but nevertheless 40-hour weeks, so I would have to shorten some of my workdays.

My contact wasn't specific about which ones or how long because, as he said, the flu biller place was flexible.  Good; I was thinking that to make up for the two extra hours I would work on Wednesdays I would just take off a half-hour early.  But apparently that was not the case.  Not to get into too many details, I have to work 9 1/2 hours on Mondays and have a total of ten hours dedicated to Wednesday and Friday (well five apiece, not ten each day).  Moreover, I have to stay until 6 Mondays and Wednesdays.  So that kind of screws up my original plans, as well as my schedule.

And on top of all of that there are so huge things I need to do this and only this week.  In preparation for their wintering overseas and out of town, my parents want me to visit their banks to be their signatory or something.  Plus I have some alumni club stuff I should do in preparation for the game on Saturday, to make absolutely sure.  And it struck me like a thunderbolt during work Monday that I haven't paid my monthly premium for September yet.  I tried doing it online but they locked me out of my account, goddammit.  I need to write a post about how MNSure sucks donkey dick, by the way.

So my new formulation was to try and get out of work mid-afternoon today (Tuesday) so I could take care of my health insurance and talk to the bar owner, then go to the St. Paul Saints game; this week is the last three games the independent minor league baseball team will ever play in traditional (read: decrepit) Midway Stadium.  I then would spend Thursday mid-afternoon going to these banks with my parents.  In exchange I would make Wednesday a 10-hour day, which, ironically enough, would be what I was told I would have to do before this assignment began.  This isn't the greatest schedule, but I definitely need some time free in the afternoons.  My boss could have me work any other schedule ... after this week, is all.

I was going to try and hash out my schedule with my boss, who, it now seems, is going to be one of two people I directly answer to.  It's the other one who expects me to be around these 20 hours per week; my feeling is that the other 20 will be dictated by him.  Unfortunately we didn't figure things out today, like I had hoped.  Worse yet, he spat out an initial thought of just cutting me early on Fridays.  That certainly wouldn't help me do all the errands I need to do this week, and that idea runs into another scenario: My other boss states that this other job involves keeping track of inventory.  I have to make sure that we have the number of supplies that our computer has.  She has gone through instances where the count was wrong and she had to stay late to figure out where the mistake came from.  I am supposed to do the same if I screw up.  But again I cannot go beyond 40 hours a week.

I have five hours in the morning on Fridays where I have to be there, keeping track of supplies and inventory.  If something comes up wrong on Fridays, I believe I am expected to take what is the end of my 40-hour workweek to figure it out.  I cannot just wait till noon, when the room closes, realize that the count is wrong and go, "Sorry, can't help you, I've reached my 40!" and take off.  And I'm sure that it would be my fault if I somehow appear to try to weasel my way into overtime.  Bottom line, I don't think just cutting me early on Fridays is the solution.  But the way I left it with my male boss, I don't think he sees it that way.

So I guess I'm going to know in several hours whether or not I can convince him to do it my way, or at least reach a compromise where I can do everything I need to do this week and still be flexible enough to be able to stick around to clean up messes in the room Fridays.  Hell, it'd be even better if he was cool with me setting my own schedule from week to week and not need to tell anyone.  But is he that type of guy?  Actually, no.  And that'll mean I won't have time to pay my premium, make sure the alumni club has a bar to watch the games nor get signed up with my parents' banks.  Which means I'm totally fucked.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment