Friday, August 8, 2014

The Last Day, And I Go Anonymously

Barring something very unforeseen, this will be my last day at the project in downtown Minneapolis.  I have been told that the flu billing position is all set up for me to begin on Monday, but I had been led to believe that the workflow at this downtown project not only was drying up but would be, in all actuality, completely done this week.  Not only would it make sense, seeing as I was cut the previous two weeks by Thursday and I was told by my supervisor that there's a day-and-a-half of work this week tops, but it would be perfect because I could go and do some other stuff ... except that it's Friday and I'm not done.  In fact I don't think the workload for the week will be done if I'm the only one doing it.  I wonder if my boss is OK with that or disappointed.  If it's the latter, well, maybe it's best that today's my last day.

And we're still stuck doing the same routine: Going in, getting into our cubicle, putting on our headsets or headphones, bringing up the list of stuff we need to do, opening up an Internet window, and we work, just sitting at our desks and staring at our screens, until we are done for the day.  Sure, some of the veteran callers have spoken to each other.  But I find it really funny that I spoke with none of these people when I began this project over two months ago, and then we had this pretty huge lunch/party/get-to-know-you shindig at the park a little over a week ago meant to break the ice -- and I literally have spoken to no one at this place after it.  Hell, I learned names at this party from people who sit close to me, and I have not said a word to these people since.  In fact I don't know if they've looked in my direction once.  It's weird, and I guess it doesn't matter since it's my last day and I wasn't here all that long anyway, but you'd think we would give each other eye contact and a quick wave or even a "hello."  Nope, none of that.

Is it me or is it them, or is it both?

Should add another thing: Very early on in the project the secretary, probably because it was policy, slipped a name card into my cubicle plate.  Made me feel official.  Now, no one came up to me, looked at it and introduced him- or herself (besides my boss) but I consider that to be a sign of respect, even if that is how things are supposed to be done for all employees, including temps.  Have a badge with my name and picture on it, too, and I got that on Tuesday.  Sure, I'll only be using it for three days, but as long as I am working there, I need a badge, and I get that and a name card, and in combination both tell what my name is and what I look like.

I AM SOMEBODY!!!  Well, until the end of day (or whenever the work runs out), in which case I have to turn in my badge and the name tent will go bye-bye presumably Monday.  And I will be gone, and since no one really got to know me in the two-plus months I was there, it would be like I had never been there.  Leave only footprints and take only memories, and all that stuff. ...

You know, this wasn't a bad place to work.  Could've paid better, but besides that, wasn't the worst place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment