Thursday, August 7, 2014

Expenses Without Receipts

To me it is scary how dependent I have gotten on my credit card.  On the one hand it makes it easier to compile EWRs, even if I blog about them months apart.  But on the other hand it makes for big, or at least long, credit card statements.  I keep rationalizing it by saying that the only charges I make to it are for parking, but I'm scared to actually read my statement to see if that's actually true.

Starting from Wednesday, August 6:
  • Go back to Sunday, August 3, when I parked and found a nickel lying on the ground somewhere.  Hey, it's legal tender.  An Infusion of: 5 cents.
  • ETA at 2:40 a.m. Tuesday the 12th that I forgot that on Sunday, August 3 I stopped off at Dairy Queen just before going home.  Got a mini-sized Oreo Blizzard, probably the only size I can afford at DQ these days.  Cost: $2.99
  • Saturday the 2nd ... guess I was itching to use cash for the weekend.  Started off at Dunn Bros. where I was supposed to have a meeting with the other person on the board, but he totally forgot.  Whatever.  Got a mocha ice crema.  Have I written EWRs on expenses for receipts I do have because I keep track of the tips here?  I should, and I hope to continue to do that.  In this case, the tip at Dunn Bros. is: 30 cents.
  • Then I took in the soccer doubleheader at TCF Bank Stadium, which I described here.  Enjoyed myself even if I rationalized the truth: Soccer's kind of boring.  Guinness was the title sponsor, and they had a presence at the stadium.  However, the beer garden in which Guinness was offered was only open during the games.  I wanted to get one inbetween so I wouldn't miss a second of the "action," but I would have to divert my attention away from the pitch to get a glass of the alcoholic drink that fronts the tournament.  Now I'm not a huge of Guinness, but I wanted to buy one because they were sponsoring this international (if contrived) tournament.  So why would they turn away customers who also wanted to see the game?  Mind-boggling.  So I drank a Coke to chase down the hot dog.  Total: $10.50.
  • I like days where I have the day all to myself.  I'll expound on this, hopefully, some other time, but even though it takes a long time, it was fun to be able to hop on the light rail and go from the U. to the West Bank to the Mall of America.  Not needing to worry about driving, especially when my Check Engine light's on, is an acceptable trade-off for being beholden to Metro Transit's schedule, at least for this day.  And it only cost me one ticket, even though I technically rode the rails for more than the 2 1/2 hours one ticket gets you: $1.75.
  • Speaking of the West Bank ... because I had the time and the means to do it, I wanted to light-rail over to a couple of food spots and eat.  I could not conceive of another day and opportunity to try these places, and so Saturday was it.  I have heard and read that the Wienery is a good place for hot dogs.  It was ... OK.  Maybe I was a little jaded because I had a hot dog at Das Bank, but I liked the Minneapolis Dog I got, especially the slaw and sea salt, part of which dripped onto the fries, of which there was an appropriate amount, not like the heaps you get at Five Guys and I got when I ate at Annie's Parlour.  (The Wienery advertises that you get one potato's worth of fries, which seems like a lot, so either it's not a lot or it's not really a potato's worth.)  The place is dingy -- what West Bank spot isn't -- and it would have been nice to know where the bathroom is so I could have washed my hands.  But at this place the price on the menu is the price you pay; tax is already included.  Tip isn't, yet I didn't mind throwing some extra into the tip pitcher.  If you go, and you should, bring cash with you; they do not take credit cards.  Total amount: $8.50.
  • And speaking of the Megamall ... I decided to risk getting a ticket for riding without paying for a fare by taking an hour or so to light-rail it down there and have Pinkberry.  Whenever I go to an ice cream place I usually get something unhealthy and indulgent -- chocolate/dessert stuff, you know?  But Pinkberry pushes lighter, sorbet-like stuff, such as their Sugarpova toppings, gummy candies with the branding of tennis hottie Maria Sharapova.  But I didn't see any Sugarpova toppings.  Is the marketing deal over?  Without that I pivoted over to trying another thing Pinkberry offers, the smoothie.  Got a strawberry banana, and it was good, even though I wouldn't be able to distinguish that from a smoothie Mother makes from time to time.  I should only write down the tip, but without the receipt I got from Pinkberry in hand now I can only tell you the total amount I had the foresight to type in shortly after I bought it; I'll go back and change it before publishing (ETA at 9:53 p.m. on Saturday, August 16 that, no, I did not change it before I published it, and in fact I don't feel like it.  In fact, I'm not sure if I'll follow my policy of strictly only typing down EWRs for tips when I have a receipt for the item itself.  What the hell, why not have two records of the same expense: 4.76.
  • It took a long time and a long walk through campus, but after I got off the LRT I was in my car, a mere nine hours after I left it.  And it was still in one piece!  I thought about going to Caffetto, but I had traveled so much on public transportation I decided against driving down to South Minneapolis.  Besides, I wanted to see some boobs.  So I went over to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division).  They bumped up the price of coffee by a quarter.  Waitress said it was because of the rise of the minimum wage.  Bullshit.  It's because he wants to maintain a level of profit.  I understand that motivation, but why don't you just say so and not solely pin the blame on governmental actions that help the common good?  Ah, whatever, it's not as if I'm going to pay more; it just means a quarter less in tips for the waitress.  Stage tips remain at two bucks, however, making this trip cost: $11.
  • Ended this relaxing Saturday with a trip to My Favorite Late-Night Italian Place.  Got someone new working there -- cute, probably still in high school.  Should keep myself familiar there so it doesn't look weird that some guy plops down in a booth and sets up his laptop like he's going to the office.  Had so much pop that I decided to have a beer, one small can of Pabst Blue Ribbon -- rare for me to do that here.  With small salad and soup: $8.25.
  • On Friday, August 1 I dropped my car off to get it fixed, which it wasn't.  The best thing about this mechanic, the one Father trusts, is that it is extremely close to the Green Line, which means I have the ability to go anywhere if I had the time.  And I took advantage of that, going back into downtown Minneapolis to meet a new club member, then going inbetween the cities to try this place called the Russian Tea House, a small restaurant that's only open between 11 and 3 Fridays.  I got what appears to be its signature dish, the piroshki, which they describe (in an effort to make Russian food a bit more familiar) as a "Russian hamburger."  A little bit on the small side for more than four bucks, but it was good.  Plus the woman serving me was nice, the Russian tea was good, and I liked having the restaurant (actually a converted house) by myself for a half-hour: $5.60.
  • Thursday, July 31 ... I was surprised that I only had 90 minutes' worth of work.  That's OK; that meant I could LRT it down to the Mall of America and eat at Hooters!  Got my Mug Club renewal card with this visit, so the clock on the year is ticking.  Hot chick, too -- small but well-defined arms.  She said she was winded filling up the ice machine.  I don't think she had any problem carrying the buckets of ice!  With tip: $18.50.
  • Tuesday the 29th -- special day.  Work cut out early for a picnic.  Actually worked only three hours, ate at the park (via the light rail!) for another three, went back to the office, picked up my stuff, went to the parking ramp where I took a nap, and I was off ... to this hotel in the west metro, where a guy who was trying to sell me on working as an Amway salesman.  (Ran into him downtown the week the Green Line opened -- long story not worth rehashing, unless I think it's a good blog post.)  I then went to the library, realized that Edge of Tomorrow was starting twenty minutes earlier than I thought, then went (although I'm still cheesed off I missed the very first minutes; have to remember that films that have been in theaters for some time don't have seven trailers to give you time to get to the screen -- oh, great movie, BTW).  Any expense I paid I put on my credit card.  But somewhere in my busy day I found a dime and penny on the ground.  So, an Infusion of: 11 cents.
  • Sunday, August 27 was the day of the huge party, the ripple effects I still am dealing with today.  I gave myself some decompression time at My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Edition).  I also had some leftovers from the party, specifically chips and nuts.  I was going to go there but be home in time for dinner, but I got to talking with the host of the party and I just blew dinner off.  That allowed me to stay a lot longer at the strip bar, kibitzing with the girls and giving away the chips and some of the nuts.  I was going to take rest of the nuts home, but stupid me, I left the bag with the, I think, three jars of nuts there.  Probably threw them away.  I always do this, bringing stuff into a place but forgetting to take them with me.  If it's not part of my routine it is very difficult for me to remember that I brought them with.  Hell, I don't remember the last time I brought food into that place.  Sigh.  Coffee and tips: $14.
  • Guess I charged the shit out of my credit card because the preceding Expense Without Receipt was the previous Sunday, July 20, when I learned that afternoon that it was National Ice Cream Day and I decided to commemorate it by driving from the library to Uptown to have an ice cream at Sebastian Joe's.  With tip: $4.25.
  • Saturday the 19th ... I finally had the time to see my prom date my biological grandmother and my uncle at the cemeteries.  I got two dandelions that were being given out, oddly enough, by the Yoplait street team handing out samples of their new Greek yogurt at, of all events, the All-Star Game on Tuesday.  I got the flowers and then I thought, "Shit, I'll have to take care of them now, won't I?"  But I was able to turn lemons into lemonade; the flowers were the impetus to finally go to the cemeteries.  Bought some flowers and was able to add a dandelion to each bouquet for both my prom date and my biological granny.  (Also had to bring them from the backyard, where I kept them watered in a tub, into my bedroom, where I put them in a souvenir cup from a sporting event, after I picked up my parents from their weeks-long vacation.)  The flowers cost: $3.21.
  • After I visited the loved ones past, I wanted to eat, but really didn't know where.  I remember it being close to 1, the very end time where I would eat a proper lunch, and I decided that the McDonald's or the Chipotle in Uptown were OK.  I was going to go straight down through Hennepin, but just before I got the green light a bus came from my left to take a left turn right in front of where I would be.  That bus would eventually pull over to the shoulder so I could pass it, but that thought didn't enter my mind when, in frustration, I decided to take a right instead.  That would take me down Lyndale, and I thought I could find some place I could eat, depending on where I would meet Lyndale.  Turns out I could take a left and hit Crema Cafe, a place I hadn't been to in two years since the girl behind the counter didn't give me a replacement ice cream after I dropped it.  I remembered reading that its affogato, a dollop of ice cream in a cup of espresso, is its signature dish.  I thought it was the ice cream.  Anyway, it was a bit past 1, which meant I should get something to eat, plus running into this place seemed to be serendipity, therefore I stopped in for 20 minutes to eat there.  Didn't drop the affogato, so there was no potentially awkward situation where I would have to ask for a replacement.  It was OK, but I don't think I'd get it again for the price.  With tip: $6.75.
  • Went back home eventually, where I showered but immediately went back out (no dinner) because the local soccer team, Minnesota United FC, was playing host to Swansea City, the first English Premier League organization to ever play in the state.  That's cool, although from the 2-0 score (we won!) I don't know how much effort the team put into the game.  They have food trucks there, and I decided to try the AZ Canteen, the food truck by food critic, bizarre food eater, Minnesota native and (from what I hear) asshole Andrew Zimmern.  I will say that his spicy peanut noodles were really good; spicy enough without it burning my mouth over overwhelming the dish, which was served in a Chinese to-go box that was falling apart.  That with Budweiser, a ticket, a program and tips for the food and drink: $36.
  • Found a penny at the parking lot at the National Sports Center, and Infusion of: 1 cent.
  • Afterwards I drove past home down to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division), where I got a dance from Cicily, who was a lot more talkative than usual (she revealed to me her family) but shorted me on the dance, goddammit.  With coffee (pre-price rise) and tips: $31.
  • I then finished off my day by going back up to my neck of the woods to eat at My Favorite Late-Night Italian Place, but just for a salad and onion rings.  With tip: $9.
  • Let's take it back to Wednesday, July 16, the day where ***e* half-assed cleaning my house and giving me a handie.  Read all about it here: $120.
  • Monday the 14th seems to be the last time I paid for parking at work with cash: $6.25.
  • Sunday, July 13 ... ah, the final of the World Cup!  I remember parking all the way at Augsburg and walking about ten minute to the Nomad.  There was a cover for the final match, but I got in because I had a passport with some stamps in it.  Thank goodness!  Didn't win anything for the tickets I got from the stamps, but I can't complain about enjoying arguably the greatest sporting event on Planet Earth with a bunch of other soccer diehards.  And I pulled out all the gustatory stops here -- Lone Star beer, pulled pork tacos, Belgian fries to eat while waiting for them to have the raffle, and tips come out to: $19.
  • Then I went to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Edition) to celebrate.  Got the waitress who probably doesn't like me.  Her getting away from me even though I was about to tip her for getting me coffee probably proves as much.  With stage tips: $8.25.
  • On Saturday the 12th the only ERW I (apparently) have is at My Favorite Stripclub (Cover Version), which, as you could tell, does not give out receipts.  Although they no longer advertise it on City Pages, I have always been able to bring a food donation (which usually is a Cup O' Noodles, the cheapest food I can buy) in exchange for letting me in free, without paying a cover.  I always reward these guys with a dollar tip on my way out.  Tips, a Corona (first time in a long time I've had that) and ten, count 'em, ten dances with my Claudia: $139.
Caught up through August 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment