Saturday, August 23, 2014

Counting The Days, I Think

So, once again, like with the oil leaks and the power steering leaks and I think a few other things, I'm counting the days until my parents leave so I have the use of their car so I can bring my car in while still being able to get to work and tool around the Twin Cities.  I haven't literally counted down from ... well, I don't know when the countdown was supposed to begin, but I haven't counted down literally, nor set up a calendar with a series of smaller numbers, crossing them off after I wake up in the morning.

Nevertheless I'm just holding on, hoping that the car doesn't blow up or stall permanently on the highway.  I am blessed, therefore, that my work commute is a short one that doesn't involve freeway speeds but does involve a lot of traffic.  Well, not too much traffic -- I should talk about University Ave. -- but my car is in no shape to compete in a track meet, especially with other cars around, so I'm glad the majority of my necessary time in the car involve side streets.

Meanwhile my car keeps giving me curveballs.  The Check Engine light has started to come on earlier and earlier, to the point where, after a two-day respite last week, I could expect it to come on well before I got on the main side streets on the way to and from work.  The engine wouldn't even be hot and the light would be on, that's how ridiculously consistent it became.

But then it became inconsistent.  After work Thursday I decided to take in the first day of the State Fair.  Of course I would set the light off then, but hey, it's The Great Minnesota Get-Together, I had to go.  But shockingly, from the time I drove from work (in the Quarry) to the Park and Ride lot (basically Roseville), then, after less than two hours, from that lot to a condo in St. Louis Park (where I got a handjob from ***e*), the Check Engine light did not come on once.  I did keep my speed below 60, aka the actual speed limit in Minnesota, even when I was on the highway.  But it didn't come on.  Strange: I crawl all around the Twin Cities and the Check Engine light does not come on, yet when I drove the nine miles to work through side streets it comes, now virtually immediately.

Fuck it.  I won't have to worry about it, hopefully, once I get it fixed.  Then again, if my parents decide they want to not pay for insurance for one of the two cars we're operating, I still might not get my car fixed, but it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be using the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment