Monday, August 4, 2014

Should There Be More Than One Way To Skin This Cat?

So the problems with my car, specifically the Check Engine light and the accompanying failure to accelerate, are not only getting worse but more consistent.  Today (Sunday) was staying around my neck of the woods -- the north metro to return some stuff and then attend the 3M Championship -- yet it clicked on three times.

At least I was banking on it to happen: Now I could go back to the place where I got the codes the last time (about three weeks ago) and get which codes are still on after all the cleaning they did Friday.  A guy helped me out, and unlike the girl from before, who had to take several minutes to figure out where the socket was and to figure out she needed an adapter, the guy was able to find a plug lickety-split.  (It did help that I told him the make of my car so he didn't need to run in and get the appropriate adapter, like she had to.)

However, it wasn't the socket that she used the last time.  Moreover, the code that I got was a type I associate with OBD-II, which were mandated for all cars manufactured after 1996.  I have a '92 or '93, therefore I should be getting an OBD-I code, and the codes from that are different, very different, from OBD-II.  Therefore, I don't know why I'm getting a "Pxxxx" code.  I told him that and he said, simply, same thing, it translates from one thing to another.  And my first thought was, you're full of shit.

See, I don't understand why I can't have two different people from the same store do the same thing.  I've got one who didn't give me the impression she knew what she was doing, and then I have another one who was totally confident that he knew what he was doing and yet gave me information that is totally unlike what the previous person gave me ... and, furthermore, I just checked the Lexus OBD-II codes here and what that guy gave me does not match anything on that list.  And let me tell you this: I looked at the screen while he getting the codes out of his scanner, which looks like this, and there's a screen which gives you the option of either reading the code out of the car or reviewing it, and this guy, he didn't push down and selected "read," he just hit the enter button or something when the cursor was on "review."  So for all I know the code he gave me was the damn code for the previous car he used that scanner for.  What the fuck?

So not only did this mechanic, whom Father trusts implicitly, try to half-ass fixing my car, and not only is my car not fixed but also getting worse, now somebody's fucking up reading the codes so this mechanic can try to fix it for real.  I don't feel as if things are breaking my way, and I really believe that karma has been unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment