Sunday, August 24, 2014

Oh Yeah, University Avenue Is A Fucking Parking Lot

Ever since Central was closed down for the summer -- parts of it around my neck of the woods has been shut down, some not, some days and weeks while they're tearing out the pavement to put in new pavement -- all of the traffic going through here northbound goes through University, the other non-highway main street that parallels the house in which I live.  And since a couple weeks ago, it's been a goddamn shitshow whenever I come back home in the afternoon.  Or at least try to.  But once I'm forced off Central onto University, it's a crawl.  Again, I'm not hoping to tear ass at 70 m.p.h. up 47, and, once again, I'm glad I don't have to get into a race with my hobbled car.  But it's no damn fun being stuck in traffic, especially at a place where you don't expect it to take 15 minutes to travel four miles.

I have thought about letting the traffic pass by stopping for coffee between work and home.  I decided not to do that because my folks are expecting me for dinner, but with them gone that becomes a more viable solution.  Another thing that might help me avoid traffic coming home is the introduction of a weird, flexible schedule for work.  My flu billing job has morphed into something different, and that involves being available for ten hours Monday but five Wednesday and Friday.  It appears that I won't have a usual 9-to-5 gig this year, but I can only get 40 hours a week, therefore I need to think of something.  I could take advantage of having a few days a week where I can get home early and thereby beat the traffic home.

But what I really want to happen is to see Central open again.  I do understand the need to rebuild roads, and Central was getting pretty torn up, including a huge fucking pothole that sat just south of the railroad tracks.  That alone necessitated the absolute destruction of that entire strip.  Now, just like the remodel of 694 last summer, I wait until MNDOT is done so I can see how good The New Central Avenue is.  And I wait in the summer heat on University.

No comments:

Post a Comment