Saturday, October 5, 2024

Another Instance Where I Hesitated And Lost

I've always wanted to see The Searchers, the John Wayne film regarded by many as The Best Western Ever.  The revival theater has a special screening of it on Monday.  They even have a 70 mm print.

I, however, did not buy a ticket in time online.  I checked tonight and the screening is sold out.  Dammit, I should have jumped at the chance earlier.  I actually knew a couple months ago that there would be a showing this on this date.  But then life intervened and it slipped my mind ... until I, in a moment of idling, checked the website some time ago and saw it was coming up soon ... and then I forgot again until I checked the website again.  Then, once I did, and this was Monday (I think), I fell into my OCD principles of not spending money on days when I didn't plan to spend it, and using only one form of payment (either cash or credit) on days I did spend money.

Bear with me: Since I had to come into work at 7 Monday and Tuesday, I would have no time to buy something to eat before getting to work, so those were both no-buy days.  And Thursday I had a stripper party to go to, and since *****y had to be paid in cash for, uh, what we did, I was only using cash the entire day, and I can't buy a movie ticket online with cash, of course.  I finally planned on buying that ticket to The Searchers last/Friday night, but I was too late.

I left out Wednesday purposely.  On that day I was using my credit card to eat at this vaunted new restaurant and to get my face shaved.  I used my credit card for both transactions, so naturally I could have -- and should have -- used it to get me a ticket.  But I didn't.  I think that I either forgot or thought that The Searchers wouldn't sell out.  Either way, I was wrong.

This happened once before.  I don't remember which movie, but I went to this same theater thinking I could just buy a ticket.  When I was told the screening was sold out, they offered to put me on a waitlist.  I waited, and then I got in.  There were more than several people on this waitlist, both ahead and behind me, and we all got in.  So I am going to do that again Monday, and I am going to hope that fortune smiles on me again Monday.  Otherwise, I would be going out a second time for nothing, and I hate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment