Friday, July 31, 2009

It's Good To Finally Be Able To Tell A Story About My Family Where We Kind Of Fight And In A Non-Serious Way

So after dinner I tell my parents I'll be hanging out with my friend.

My Mother walks up to me. "Boyfriend or girlfriend?" she asked.

"Girlfriend. Well, she's a friend, but she's a girl."

Then she asks me a question she asks from time to time: "Why don't you get a girlfriend?"

I wanted to tell her the same thing I've told her before -- "You can't just get a girlfriend like you're buying cereal off the shelf at the grocery store." But I didn't say that. (I don't think I've ever said that to her, actually.) So I paused, gave her a pained, sheepish, screwed-up face and said with rising inflection in my voice, "I'll ... try?"

Mom gave me her patented "bitch please" look as she walked away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment