Saturday, November 21, 2009

I estimated that it would been around 1:30 when the rebroadcast of today's Oprah show would get to the end segment where she would officially announce the death date of her program.  I wanted to see it, in its entirety, because it's a culturally signifcant moment.

It was getting to 1:30 as I was driving home.  I wanted to see it, and yet I wanted to stay out.  Did I have enough time?  It was about 1:26 when I passed by my usual right to get to home.  But I'm hungry, and they have a TV there, and I brought my bag and laptop with me, so it'd take me some time to lug all that shit into my room, and then I'd be late.  Excuses, excuses.  I prayed that I'd make it in time, and I passed the street.

I rush in and, unfortunately, see people in the dining room looking at CNN.  I'm enough of a regular at this restaurant that I can just grab a remote from another regular's table and flip it to the local CBS station ... where Oprah was in the middle of her teary explanation for setting an end date for her show.  Plus the waitress took my order, and those other people were talking loudly, in the middle of her speech.

I should've went home.  I would've made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment