Saturday, August 28, 2010

Trying To Be A Good Host

So my friends are here.  Well, I know them through my sister and brother-in-law.  I met them in Zurich last year, and they told me that they'd be roadtrippin' throughout the States this year.  I didn't think they really would do it, but I'll be damned, they did.

They told me about a week ago that they're getting close, but I've been in a tizzy all day since they texted me that they'll be in town.  How do you show two people you barely know around a city you barely know?  We went out to the Taste of Minnesota, and they seemed to like it, but what about tomorrow?  And what about Sunday?  Will there be a Sunday itinerary, or will I send them on their way?  And would it be rude by me to send them on their way?  I don't know.  Hosting's hard.

I'm not getting any help from my parents.  Upon seeing them and the RV on the driveway, Mother called me twice to tell me to ask them if they wanted any pop and if they wanted to use our bathroom and shower.  And My Fucking Father did the same thing tonight, except that he added the put-down, "You have to be nicer."  Fuck you, you're the one who made their friend feel bad about himself, I'm not bringing them into the house so you can treat them like shit, you asshole.  I'll host them the way I want to host them; you go lie down on your TV and watch Chinese movies until you pass out, like you do every day.

Next thing you know, he'll invite them in for dinner.  Which, come to think of it, I'm afraid, isn't a bad idea.

Like I said, hosting's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment