Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hot Time, Summer In The City

This has been the worst spell of weather all year.  It's been hot and humid for about a week, give or take a day.  In fact, I don't think we've had such a streak of awful, shitty heat in a long time, maybe ever.

I've felt and seen the aftereffects of this oppressive weather, in me and in others, the past few days:
  • Been so desultory the past few days the cellphone alarm woke me up from a deep sleep.  Without Mother asking me to go to the bank, I've been out deep when it started blowing up.  At what time did I set up my alarm?  Noon-ish.
  • Because I had to be at the U. at 1, I should have just gone straight to "work."  But it's been hot, so I don't care.  I go to lunch, eat kind of quickly, and get there very late -- like ten minutes late yesterday and 15 today.  Oops.
  • I was told today that my results have been inconsistent.  Oh-oh.  Wake-up call.  I don't think I've been not listening the past few sessions.  I do what I usually do: Close my eyes, kind of space out, and listen to the blips and bleeps and figure out which one is not like the others.  Has it been incorrect?  This might lead to something bad, like getting fired.  I can't have that.  Oh well; that means I have to wake up early enough to get there on time now.  Have to show them I'm serious about this.
  • Road rage flare-ups galore on the way home.  Cutting in front, merging without signaling, honking horns, etc.  I have to admit I did a few of those things, too.
I see it turning dark outside right now.  With the hot and humid weather comes storms, and there's a tornado watch right now through this evening.  Maybe it will cool.  But the forecasters say it'll stay hot all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment