Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just tried to connect to the Internet.  After getting my start page, the connection disconnected.

I thought it was the usual winter hiccups associated with the modem being connected to some old, bad wiring.  But after several minutes I decided to go back downstairs.

Turns out the modem was unplugged.  Thing is, when I came home about an hour ago, I specifically checked the modem, and it was plugged in.  Swear to it.  (Or, maybe I'm paranoid.)

That means there's only one explanation: My Fucking Father heard me come home, was pissed that I was out so late, and decided to send the message that I should be going to bed now.  Even though I'm paying for the Internet in this goddamn house.

This current river of bad blood started yesterday.  I've been working out most of the past two weeks, including last night, even though it was snowing.  After dinner I was hanging out in our too-small kitchen waiting to take the garbage outside.  Mother, seeing me, said, "You're not going out again, are you?"  She then warned me about getting mugged like some black dude on the news we were just watching.

Then My Fucking Father chimed in: "You waste your time drinking coffee.  It's been ten years since you were back in school.  I think you could have completed three doctor's degrees."  First of all, what the fuck?  Second of all, he doesn't know what it takes to get a doctorate.  And third of all, the reason I'm not in school is because I want to do what I want to do, and right now, going back to school is not what I want to do.  I really do want to make them happy, but if doing that means suffering through a decade's worth of an education I don't want to pursue for myself, fuck it, I ain't doing it.

He started in on me because all this week I've been out enjoying coffee before going home for dinner.  What was different this week was my parents were coming home a lot earlier than usual, so two or three times this week My Fucking Father was calling me right around the time I was at the coffeeshop, including Friday.  When I told him over the phone what I was doing -- goddamn, I should have lied -- he got angry, although he didn't unleash it until he had an opportune moment, the cowardly prick.

So now what?  I have to blog on MySpace.  Guess I'll go back downstairs and unplug the modem after I'm done, even if I have to do it at five in the morning.  Gotta keep the peace in the home 'cause I don't have the means to move out.

No comments:

Post a Comment