Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Really Dumb Reason Not To Work Out

I need to exercise more.  Father seems to agree; I've gone out to work out Monday night and Tuesday (last) night.  Have to shake out the winter doldrums.  Besides, Dancing With The Stars and America's Next Top Model aren't on during the winter.

I've been running late this week, parking well past 8 when I gave myself a drop-dead time of 8 after which I conclude that it's too late to actually put in any workout worth having, but I guess I don't care anymore.  Anway, I was listening to the end of the Wild's victory over the Bastard Colorado Rockies, so after I parked and turned off my car, I sat there and listened.  It took about five or ten more minutes, but again, I was late already, so who cares?

So they win and I'm happy, and I get out of the car.  My gym bag is in the trunk because I won't ever forget it if it's there.  It's really cold, so my car doesn't go into the trunk keyhole, and I have to touch the button inside my driver's-side door.  So I push it and the trunk doesn't open.  And I still push and it still doesn't open.  You're kidding me -- I can't work out now because it's so cold the trunk won't open?

After a couple minutes of pushing the button and trying to use the WD-40 (I have a mini one with the detachable nozzle, and goddamn I hate that when I jam that straw into the keyhole it slips out of the canister hole) and thinking and feeling sorry for myself, I come to the conclusion that there's no use.  I can't work out because I can't open the fucking trunk.

What do I do now?  Can't go home; I wouldn't know what to say to Father as to why I was back so soon: "Uh, my trunk won't open and my gym clothes are there?"  Won't eat -- already did, already too fat.  Ooh, titty bar?  Tomorrow, I'll go tomorrow.  I had nowhere to go and nothing to do, so I decided to go to Uptown and get some tea.  It's a walk-around type of neighborhood; I'll just exercise by doing a little window-shopping, in single-digit-degree weather.

Parking was a bitch, and the wind was too.  But I was at least warm inside my car -- which got me to thinking.  I had the rear defroster on from the community center to Uptown.  It should be warmer in the back of the car.  So I try the trunk button one more time.  And goddamn, sure enough, the trunk opens.  It was was warm enough for the latch to unhook.  It probably was when I just shut off my car at the gym.  But since I stayed in my car to listen to the end of the Wild game, the cold and the wind froze the latch shut.  If I just immediately went out to get my bag, I could have, because the warm trunk would have opened.  So that's why I couldn't go to the gym: Five to ten minutes of waiting in the car.

The tea place closed at 8; when I drank there it was 11.  Dinked around a few places, went into a bookstore.  Thought about heading into Cheapo, but I guess I forgot because it was so cold I wanted to get to the coffeehouse and warm myself up.  Flavored shot in a white mocha comes to $4.25 with tip.  Yeesh, that seems way high, even though it's My Favorite Coffeehouse.  At least I finally had the time to put my receipts in order.  Got home a quarter to 11, about 15-20 minutes later than I would have.

So I drank coffee instead of exercising, which meant I spent a little more money, got a little fatter, and used up more gas at a time when it's been at three bucks per gallon for an eerily long time and may shoot up to the $3.06 I saw on gas stations on the way to the community center.  And all because of five to ten minutes of waiting in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment