Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The movie theater at the Mall of America is independently run.  So they must be the only theater complex in the state that has, as a regular size, a gigantic tub of popcorn.  I wish I had taken a picture of it because it is fucking huge.  Ungodly.

But that didn't stop me from eating it all while catching up with the latest Harry Potter film tonight.  (Aside: A mainstream movie given the freedom to become a road film.  If you haven't seen it yet, think the epic scope of Lawrence of Arabia combined with the contemplative silences of CĂ©line and Julie Go Boating.  Seriously.  It's refreshing to finally see a film in this series grown-up.  It's way past that, actually; it's ambitious in reach, impressionistic in many places [there's an animated sequence], and very dark, especially towards the end.  It is a bit long.  And I feel like many of the throwaway lines would elicit laughs from those who read the book.  In fact, this seems like a film for those devotees.  Warner Bros. finally knows that a Harry Potter film will make millions, so director David Yates got the green light to do what's right for the adaptation.  And if it seems faithful to the hardcore readers, I don't mind that one bit.)  This despite the fact that I had lunch before going to "work" at the U.

Meanwhile, I went to the Target this afternoon to get Grandmother's medicine.  I remember a few days ago I should stock up on deli meats.  Then, I looked inside the refrigerator and decided I could hold off on the deli meats.  Well, I probably forgot that second thought because I bought them.  And even though I laid them in my room to thaw (I also bought baking soda, and I thought the baking soda was the only thing in the bag), as soon as I got home I made myself a sandwich.  This despite the facts that I had this big-ass tub of popcorn and I had hot chocolate, too.

I should have saved that sandwich for some other time, a time when I didn't have dinner.  Instead, tonight I had dinner, then a late-night beverage, then a midnight snack.  No wonder why I'm fat.  It's always been boom or bust for me when it comes to going out.  When I stay home in the evening, I usually don't have anything after dinner.  But when I go out, man, I hoover everything on my way around town, then get home and eat some more.  It's a paradox, really, one I should stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment