Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life Again On The Knife's Edge

I should be OK now that I've gotten more "work" at the lab, yet when I saw that prices for gas spiked two days ago, I freaked. They were already too fucking high, sitting on between $3.03 and $3.08 for seemingly weeks now. But after returning from the U. Tuesday afternoon, they immediately rose to about $3.19. What the fuck?

The worst part about this is, the last time (meaning the first time) gas prices shot up like this -- the first time the price of gas went past three bucks, as a matter of fact -- the news was all over this shit. Now, not so much. It's like they say about the adage of slowly boiling the pot so as not to scare the lobster inside it; once we're used to it, we don't give a shit. Even though worldwide demand in no way answers this sufficiently, even though too many people are still hurting because of the Great Recession.

I need to remain scared of this. Once again, my fears of financial insolvency appear concrete. And so I have to ration my entertainment. Can I go to My Favorite Stripclub as much as I want? How about the Boat Show -- should I go there instead? And if I'm going to St. Paul to see the Minnesota Rollergirls the next two Saturdays, where (or if) will I save on gas ... exercising at the gym?

Choices. In a more just world, choices I shouldn't have to make. Stupid gas prices. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment