Sunday, January 2, 2011

Watching Sunday Night Football's "Winner"-Take-All Fail

How did I get so tired?  So I woke up early to take my sister and brother-in-law to the airport yesterday, then I go home to sleep for a little bit, then watched hockey games all afternoon and evening, stayed up to blog, then went to sleep for a few hours before being woken up by Grandmother this morning.

Then I remembered I still had to finish writing about tonight's Seahawks-Rams game.  It's the last game of the NFL's regular season, and the winner of the game would get a playoff spot, and the other wouldn't.  Added storyline: Both teams are terrible.  The Bastard Cleveland/Los Angeles Rams came into the game at 7-8.  The Seattle Seahawks?  6-9.  And they were at home.  They had a chance to become, I believe, the first team in NFL history to finish below .500 and make the postseason.

However ... the first slate of games didn't enthuse me.  And today was the last day of this exhibition about this locally-based photographer at the Walker.  The exhibition's gotten rave reviews, and this guy is apparently getting noticed nationally.  I think.  And I was up.  So instead of watching the last woebegotten game of the Vikings' season, I went to the Walker.  Is this the first time I chose art over sports?  Maybe it was an effort to not get yelled at by my parents to clean the house when they got home.

Anyway, the Vikes lost and the other game was a laugher, so I think I made the right decision.  And I didn't feel tired through dinner.  But just before tonight's game, I crashed.  I remember seeing the Sunday Night Football countdown clock on the screen showing eight minutes until it started.  And then I remember nothing.

Then I was woken up by my Grandmother.  Just before I slept I told her to wake me when she was ready to eat.  So I helped her with her diabetes test and insulin injection (she still can't do it by herself), and then I went back to my bed to see that my TV was still on and that the Seahawks were leading 7-3.  And then I remember nothing.  I guess I was so tired I fell asleep with the game on, loudly.  Twice.

I woke up for good a quarter to 11 to see that the converter turned itself off.  And when I turned it back on, the late news was on.  And even though it was a boring game, turned out Seattle won and indeed are  headed into the playoffs despite losing more games than winning.

I wanted to see that.  But I was too goddamn tired.

And to top it all off, I have to race to blog about this because I haven't blogged for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment