Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pissed Off Over My Furlough

I'm writing this a few hours after I was told in my day job that there is no other work for us to do, so even though we'll get paid for the whole day, we don't work for the rest of the week.  In fact, we're supposed to come in the day after the 4th of July -- and that's it.

A project like this never guarantees that it'll end when it's scheduled to end.  I've been in three now, and all three cut short by at least a day.  But this is a project that actually furloughed me in the middle of the project.  It started on the 16th and was scheduled to end around the 6th.  I've missed six days between the beginning and the end, and I left early on two of them.  So I can say that I worked half as much as I thought I would.  And I'm pissed off as hell.

Yeah, I guess beggars can't be choosers.  And like I said, scoring papers is something that has a nebulous life.  But there has to be some point where the company you work for says you will be employed for these dates.  Not only did that not happen, they way underestimated the number of papers we would have to go through and thus overestimated how much time I needed to be there.

I was mighty angry last week, when I was gearing up for a full week of work -- and the desperately-needed wages that go with it -- and I was told to leave at lunchtime on Tuesday.  We were told that papers were not being scanned in on time and I'm depending on this gig for trips I want to take the next few months to St. Louis and Miami, plus some upcoming work that needs to be done on my car -- and, of course, stripclubbing.  Having the rug pulled out from under me like this is something I really don't appreciate.

The good thing is is that the company seems to like me.  I've been assigned to a project that starts in a couple weeks.  I like that because it gives me about a week to goof off, recharge my batteries, and allow my body to reset back to its natural circadian rhythms.  But the other people working in the same project as I were assigned to other ones that starts next week.  Kind of don't understand, kind of wondering why I didn't get that.  It runs roughly the same length as mine -- but, considering the way they fucked this up, we'll be done in, like, two days.  Then, back to the unemployment grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment