Thursday, June 23, 2011

Our Garage Is Where Beetles Go To Die

Weirdest thing.  I think I saw yet another beetle, face-up, legs semi-curled in the fetal position, just lifeless on the garage floor as I was going out to "work" at the U today.

It's the third of fourth I've seen in the garage.  One I ran over even though it was alive and I thought wasn't in the path or was walking out of the path of my reversing tires.  Dammit.

Weirder, one I saw for a couple, maybe even a few, days upside down, legs kicking as if it was struggling to right itself, with something attached to its body and maybe holding it down that way.  After a couple or a few times walking around it to get into my car, I decided to help it out; I used (I think) my keys to put him upright.  And away it went, somewhere around my garage.

The next day, I believe, while getting into my car, I saw, I believe, that same beetle.  It was back in the position I first found it, face-up.  Only it was kicking its legs.  It was dead.  The hell?

When, how and why is our garage a beetle hospice?

No comments:

Post a Comment