Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Watching NBA Finals Fail

This has been, from all reports, the greatest NBA Finals in a long time.

I haven't seen a single fucking game yet.  And I'm kind of upset.

Obviously the first three games I couldn't see because I was in Italy.  (I'll get to my stories in a bit, I swear.)  But Game 4 was tonight, and I wanted to see for myself how good this series is going.

Well, first of all, I'm still tired.  I went to bed a bit past midnight last night because I still was feeling the jetlag from coming in from Europe Sunday.  I would have stayed up, but Jimmy Kimmel Live apparently was in reruns, at least for its Monday show, but it wasn't, so I turned off my TV and rolled over to my side to see if I just pass out.  And I did.

So I wake up after 6 in the morning, stayed up for an hour, then fell asleep for an hour, then stayed up for good.  Thank God I blogged about something this morning, because I thought I had to rush out and do this.  Anyway, I had to mow because the grass was getting high, even if it is hotter than hell.

(By the way, what the fuck???  I get home and it's the hottest two days we've had in, what, 23 fucking years???  Thank you, Minnesota!  I thought it was hot in Siena, but at least it was a heat [and humidity] I was used to.  But this shit ... man, my car sounded weird because I turned on the air conditioning.  I don't need this shit.)

I could have tried to fall asleep and mow, like, on Thursday.  But I'm trying to appease My Father.  Things are actually good between us after my blow-up on Florence; I'll get to that later.  Mowing the lawn on a hundred-degree day will, or at least should, be appreciated.

I get tired.  It's hot.  I go see Bridesmaids before it leaves theaters.  (By the way, great movie!  Truly a feminine version of an Apatow flick, which is not a surprise because Apatow was a producer.  I often hate Kristen Wiig on Saturday Night Live for being incredibly obnoxious with her original charactes, but I've seen her a lot in movies, and I like her.  And honestly, she gives a revelatory performance as the lead.  Funny yet very poignant portarying someone with no money and being the maid of honor of a friend who looks like she's growing apart from her.  She could get a Golden Globe Lead Comedic Actress nomination out of this.  Seriously, y'all.  At the very least she should leave SNL, because her career -- dramatic as well as comedic -- will never be hotter.  Go watch it.)  Ice cream at Dairy Queen followed by an mocha icecrema at Dunn Bros. cools me off a little but makes my tummy hurt.  I eat a little stew, then I set down and get ready for Game 4.

But when I turn on my TV the fucking reception doesn't come in for Channel 5, our ABC affliate.  I do all I can to get it to stop pixelating and, well, stopping -- which means moving the antenna around, even putting it on its side -- but I can't get it to work.  I swear, I hate this fucking new digital signal.  With analog I can still watch through snow.  Here, if it's bad enough, it doesn't come through.  Fuck.

Plus, I'm tired.  And hot; the air conditioning was just turned on, so it wasn't getting any colder.  I figure that, like late Monday, I'll just roll over; if I'm still up by the time the game starts, around 8, I'll give it another shot.

So I wake up around 11.  Hey, maybe the Heat blew the Mavericks out.  No; like in Game 2, Dallas trailed in the fourth quarter but came back to win, tonight by 3.

This seems like a hell of a series.  Too bad I haven't seen a single second.

Maybe I'll get a chance for Game 5 this Thursday.  I have to be at a meeting then, so I should be able to stay up to see it, and probably at a place with actual reception. 

No comments:

Post a Comment