Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Follow-Up To My 9/11 Memory

I had always planned on coming back to Minnesota after my internship in El Paso. I booked a round-trip ticket when I learned I got the job. I think I used my Continental OnePass miles for the round-trip, legs about 6 1/2 months apart.

I think I thought about changing my return flights (I think they stopped in Houston) because of 9/11 for a fleeting moment. But in the end I called the night before (maybe) to confirm my flight.

I was still very nervous about boarding a plane and I told that to the Continental switch operator: "I have to tell you, that although I am very nervous about getting on a plane after what happened, I will do my best to ... uh, keep a stiff upper lip and just get on the plane and trust ... people." OK, I have no idea if that is what I actually said. But I stammered out something about being scared but braving my flight back home.

You would think the person on the other end, an employee working for an airline, an industry that was devastated to its core less than a week ago, would at least be sympathetic. But I don't think the bitch on the other end of the line said anything. So I said thank you and she may or may not have said goodbye.

That woman was probably happen the Twin Towers were struck and fell. Hate her to this day for not assuaging my fears. Shit, not even an, "I understand?" Fuck you, lady. Hope you're dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment