Wednesday, November 16, 2011

So It's Not Dementia? Really?

Her doctor made the case that what I think is dementia really is just old age. He's not ruling it out, but he thinks all Grandmother's bitching about her fucking goddamn checkbooks could just be anxiety.

I took her off both Aricept and Simvastatin because of the 1-2-3 punch of falling down, waking up pissed off and crying. But of all the medications she's taking that could cause the confusion and dementia-like systems I described to him, there's only one: The Zolpidem, the sleeping pills. So he told her to get off it for two weeks and see if she's any better.

So far, she's not. After Father ripped her a new one last night for leaving food all around her bedroom, and after I told her I don't have any more Zolpidem for her (she told the doctor she only took it sparingly when she told me she uses it all the time -- why the fuck did she lie to the doctor? If she uses it all the time, maybe she wouldn't have told us to get off the pills), she started crying. It's only the second time I've ever seen her cry ... but it's the second time this month.

The doctor said that if she's still worrying about things when she comes back in about two weeks, there's some anti-anxiety medication she could go on. And if her forgetfulness continues, the next step would be to go to a neurologist. But dementia? No. At least not yet.

Damn, My Grandmother's right, clingy and obstinate she has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment