Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Addendum To: Gatorade Hijinks

I'm embarrassed not only of what I overlooked, but the fact that I didn't really rectify the situation either.

Here I said that Target shorted me two bottles of Gatorade.  Well, the next day I did what the Target lady told me to do; I went back to the store, with the receipt, and got the two bottles of Gatorade Recover (the shake version, not the, uh, normal kind), and I put those in the fridge, right next to the ones the checkout lady did hand to me.

Then, I think it was some time the next day, I was going over how many bottles I used.  "There are now five  bottles in the refrigerator," I said to myself before thinking: "Wait a minute ... I thought I bought enough of Gatorade 1, 2, and 3 bottles to use one of each the next two times I work out.  Shouldn't I have just three?"

And then I looked back in the fridge.  Right next to the shakes are the other bottles I had in my bag already. I thought those were the "2," the "Perform" bottles that I knew I already had.  Whoops -- it turns out that those are the "3"/"Recover" bottles I thought were missing.  That's when I remembered that I did not intend to buy the shake version of the 3 bottles because I already tried those.  Those "Recover" formulae also come in basic liquid form, and I had bought two of those ... and the checkout lady, it turns out, did put them in the bag.  She didn't forget anything; she scanned everything I brought to her, put them all in one bag, and gave all the items I intended to buy to me, like she is supposed to.

So, it turns out that I basically took two items from Target without paying.

I thought about giving them back, but what would be my explanation?  "Uh, I thought that one of your co-workers forgot to pack in two bottles of Gatorade, but when I rechecked it turns out that she didn't forget, and I feel bad for stealing, so I just want to return these.  No!  I don't need money back because I didn't pay for these."  Not only would my explanation be too convoluted to understand, this Target is one I go to frequently, and I don't need anybody thinking I'm a dork with a troubled conscience.

I have used all but one bottle -- a liquid one.  I think I'll just keep my mouth shut ... well, after blogging about it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment