Saturday, July 14, 2012

I Have To Confess Something From Ten Days Ago

It was the 4th of July.  I was scared that my parents would be home the whole day, so I was gladly surprised to hear the front door and what sounded like their car.  They are going to The Store that day, so no awkward social situations or conversations -- and I could get out of the house before they come back!

So I went to a mall about 20 miles away.  I'm happy malls are open on holidays, otherwise there literally is nothing to do.  Unfortunately, halfway into the time I gave myself to dink around the mall, I get a message.

I return to my car, just in case I don't want the other person on the line hearing that I was at a mall, like my Mother ... who was the one who called me.  "Where are you?" she asked.

This was still a holiday, so even though they went to "work," they came back home early.  I tried to think up a lie, but maybe I should just tell her the truth?  It was Independence Day after all.  But my mind was too slow, and I split the baby mid-sentence: "I am hanging out ... with a friend!  At Rosedale ... er, Roseville."

That broke my stride because for the rest of the conversation all I could think about was Mother yelling at me for hanging out with a friend at the mall.  I think Mother asked me if I was going to come across a grocery store, and I felt guilty about not helping her out.  Then, after she hung up, I felt bad about just hanging out more at the mall instead of going back home.  Because they now knew I was out "having fun" while they were at home doing ... oh, maybe Father was obsessively cleaning around the house or something.  But I didn't just want to hightail it back home because if I, well, fucked up in their eyes, I might as well have fun before suffering their wrath at home.

I eventually compromised; I stayed out, but not as late as I wanted to.  When I came home, both of my parents were in the computer room downstairs.

"You're home?" Mother asked, "Why didn't you call me like I asked you to?"

D'oh!   While obsessing over the fact that Mother "caught me having fun" I totally forgot that at the end of the phone call she asked me to call before I drive back home.  She wanted to have dinner ready for me once I got back.  That's OK, I'd rather take a nap before eating.  But once again I totally forgot a detail because I was worried about something else.

She wasn't mad, at least I don't think.  And that was ten days ago and nothing came of it, I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment