Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fast Food Fuck-Ups

Burger King screwing up my order is prompting me to blog.

(I usually want Wailing And Failing to "breathe" after I do my Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey; in other words, I want the WMNSS to be a linchpin for WAF, and so I want it to be the first thing you see for most of the day on Sunday.  But I recently checked my view stats and it looks like that may not be as popular as I want it to be.  Plus, what happened at BK this afternoon reminded me of what happened at Taco Bell and, before that, Jimmy John's, and three fast food run-ins convinces me I should write about this now before I forget.)

So I wanted to try BK's sweet potato fries.  I also used the survey code for a free Whopper.  Does anybody do those?  You take your receipt, call the number, punch in what you think of the service, then you write down a free code for a Whopper or chicken sandwich, you know?  I did that ... uh, a long time ago.  I hadn't cashed in on it until today because I need to conserve cash.

So I give the BK girl that code, then asked for sweet potato fries and a dollar drink.  The girl needed to ask the manager how to punch in the code to give me the Whopper for free.  I've realized that I've seen the cashier ask the manager how to punch in codes a lot.  After she got done with that, she gave me the total, which seemed a little high.

She then gave me a medium-sized cup, not the dollar-size.  She thought I wanted that size, but I didn't.  I always feel bad when I decide to correct the girl into giving me what I ordered because I could feel that there were at least a couple people behind (turned it out it was a father and his kids).  But I can't pay more money than I expected.  But it was futile, because she gave me some bullshit about how it really is less expensive if I take the combo than the small drink by itself ... except that's it not really a combo because I ordered sweet potato fries, not regular fries.  And then she said something dumb and she gave me her large doe eyes, and then I realized that I couldn't explain myself after the foofooraw she just gave me.  So I dropped it and gave her my money.  Maybe I was wrong.

But then the manager put out a tray that looked like it could have been mine: A Whopper with regular fries.  That would be my order, except that it was supposed to be sweet potato.  At this point I've complained too much and I just want to eat.  But they fucked up my order a second time, and I really couldn't let it stand.  So I decided to be a bitch and tell the manager that it was supposed to be sweet potato.  And I will say that she seemed really busy so she just made a mistake, and so she gave me the sweet potato fries and told me to keep the regular.

So OK, I won't complain, but one other thing bugged the hell out of me.  My change was $1.27.  I could easily peer into the cash register.  And the cashier, for some fucking reason, gave me two dimes and a nickel instead of a quarter even though I could see that she had a bunch of quarters to use.  Yeah, it's the same amount.  But goddamn it, why the fuck couldn't that doe-eyed idiot give me a fucking quarter???

---

This situation reminded me, kind of, about Jimmy John's a few weeks ago, that Thursday when they were giving away a free sub.  So I line up, decide what I wanted to get, then decide to treat my meal like a combo and ask for chips and a Coke, even though I'm not paying for one.

And for some reason the guy at the register messes up my order.  Either he charged me for the sub, or the cash register somehow automatically charged me a higher price for the chips and pop because the guy treated it like a combo.  Man, I just wanted to pay for chips and pop.  I was puzzled at how expensive it was, and I needed to look at the receipt, which I think was taped to the sub that was given to me after we're told to go to the end of the line to pick it up.

I had to stop the girl who gave me the sub and point out that I paid too much.  She told me it was right because she also gave me some bullshit about the prices on the receipt.  I refused to eat the pabulum she was shoveling me.  So the manager (the fucking manager again!) had to be pried away from, like, taking out sandwich bread from the plastic bags to look at it.  Without question, he went to the cash register and gave me the difference.  That's great, but I still think I paid too much.  I don't know how much money I should have gotten back, however, and I didn't want to deal with figuring out how many more pennies or nickels I think I should receive.  Like with BK, I mentally threw up my hands, gave up, and promised myself to never eat there again, or at least for a little while.

(Aside: I don't understand the hype over Jimmy John's.  First of all, their commercials are not funny and are pretty creepy.  Second, their subs are no better than Subway.  And finally, I have often received surly service from Jimmy John's.  The one in Block E in downtown Minneapolis were populated by dicks the couple times I was there.)

---

Oh yeah, Taco Bell.  This time I wanted to spend some money.  Their Cantina Bell menu is an offshoot of the fish soft tacos they had a year or two ago.  Not only was it good, it received a rare rave from one blog that usually concentrates on bashing fast food.

Now they have a Cantina bowl and a Cantina burrito.  I had the former, and this time I was going to order the latter.  I needed a drink, and this time I would get it cheaper if I combo it up with chips.  Those chips come with your choice of three dips: guacamole, pico de gallo, and, uh, something else that escapes me.

I specifically wanted pico de gallo with my chips.  Nothing against the guac, but I had it the last time when I ordered the bowl, and I wanted to try something else.  Well, someone from the back fucked up and tossed a plastic container of guacamole on my tray.  This time I let it slide because, damn, it was a dip.

As I noticed as I was leaving, TB fucked up an order of two old ladies, burritos and not the bowls they wanted.  The lady ordering for the both of them could have been wrong or confused, but after my experience, I think it was one of the lady workers in the back being lazy or not giving a shit.

Man, and I keep shelling out cash for fast food.

No comments:

Post a Comment