Saturday, December 1, 2012

Will Lose Job Soon: Two Signs, One Overt, One Covert ... Actually, Both Overt

I thought I had till the 14th before I would leave my current assignment.  But it may be sooner.

How do I know that?  Two things.  First is the all-temp meeting my supervisor had a couple days ago.  I always hate meetings like this.  I've had them whenever I've been a temp because the focus of the meeting is usually when I lose my job.  And this was no different.

Unfortunately, the first end date of the 14th, which he told us during a prior all-temp meeting, may be moved up.  My supe said he'd have a firm date when we would lose our jobs next week.  So even though the ax might not fall for a couple weeks, it's being sharpened.  Fuck, I have no idea whether he'll bring us all in one day and tell us that is our last day.

My assignments have usually lasted a lot less than I was told when I began the hire and even after I was first told when I was done.  This should be no surprise, but I had thought of the 14th as a "sure" end date because 1) my folks are leaving the next day and so 2) I could bring my car in for service that Monday and have the whole day to wait on it.  Even as I had to move the timetable on my car up, I still thought I had two weeks.  Stupid me; I'm sure I don't have that much anymore.

The other sign that I have less than two weeks left is my workload.  Since I don't know how long I'll be around, I've been slow-footing it, namely going through these applications very slowly, looking for even the smallest typos or missing information, such as middle initials, and counting them, once or twice or more, just to make absolutely sure.  That keeps the folders in the boxes kind of full, but I think that's better than just steaming through them.  Besides, I only have two weeks left.  What are they going to do if they think I'm working too slow, fire me?

Well, there's another person helping me with these apps.  She's cute and she's smart and she's hard-working.  And she is not a temp, she's a full-timer, and I think that's the reason that not only is she helping with these applications, she's going through them in a fairly speedy manner.  I understand that's her job, but 1) it's making me look bad and 2) I don't have much work to justify staying around till the 14th.

That was evident yesterday afternoon.  That morning she came to my cubicle and admitted, "I'm looking for something to do."  Don't we all.  So she took some of my stuff.  But after I came back from lunch (actually sleeping in my car ... actually trying to sleep in my car) I saw that one of the two boxes of stuff I had was gone.  Apparently she went back to my cube because she was done with what she took this morning and grabbed more stuff for her to do.  Shit, slow down, love!  You're about to cost me my job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment