Monday, March 3, 2014

The Last Irredeemably Cold Morning Of The Winter?

It may be so.  Ironically, of all the subzero mornings we've had over this very cold, very long winter (I think we are in our 50th subzero day of the season?), it could be this morning, this upcoming morning, where the air temperature may be at its coldest -- -17.  The record low for this particular date is -13, so there's a damn good chance we'll break that by the time I have to go out and start my car in several hours.  You've got to be fucking kidding me!

It's been cold the past several mornings dating back to the back half of last workweek.  And of course it's been very cold the past few months when it hasn't been merely cold.  But it's absolutely shocking that of all the double-digit subzero late nights, of all the wind chill warnings we've had to endure, it's this upcoming morning that may be the season's nadir.

But this may be it.  Temperature are going to finally reach normal highs by the weekend.  It'll be warm enough during the day by Thursday or so to start eating away at all the fucking ice that's making driving on the roads dangerous.  Meanwhile, it looks like the lows will not dip into negative territory.  Finally, next week should see an appreciable warm-up, with forties possible.

But that's after Monday.  Well, it's after Monday morning.  Geez, I don't know how I'm going to feel about this.  I am really exasperated that the worst isn't over yet.  Then again, once we get past the morning, it looks like the worst will be over, and emphatically so.  And maybe I'll miss it.  Or maybe I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment