Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another Sucky Thing From My Trip

Someone scuffed my rental!  Not a ding, there's no damage, but on the driver's side-rear bumper there's a series of horizontal scratches.  I tried to see if I could rub it off, but no -- it's there.  Some fucker must've clipped it driving around it my last night in the Loo.

After I discovered it I had a choice to make: Either bring it to the attention of the rental place or ignore it.  I decided that there was no way this scratch could be missed, and I could then be accused of trying to hide it.  So I declared it as soon as the person checking me in asked me how I was doing.

"Look, I'm not going to be responsible for this," and I emphatically pointed out the scratches to her.  I was hoping she was going to say, "Nah, no big deal, we have a lot of cars that look like that."  But no, she told me I needed to report to their roadside incident number.  Oh shit.

I had the option of calling it in when I came back home, but I decided to just nip this shit in the bud and do it now.  I thought I could just report it to someone at the rental place, but I actually had to call it in, and so I used one of their phones.

At this point, I was hoping that they'd just say something to the effect of, "We'll take care of it."  And the woman on the other end of the phone did hint that the scratches may have been there before I even took the car.  But, she told me that they'll investigate, including calling the person who rented that car before me, and four days or so later they'll call me back and report the findings.

Which means: I'm fucked.  They'll think I did it.  The guy before me will say he didn't notice any marks on the car, which means I had possession of it when it happened, and even though I didn't do a goddamn thing and the car is in perfect working order, they'll make me pay inflated prices for buffing out seven scratches on a car, even though people are just going to drive it anyway and not even notice a single fucking difference.

Why does this shit have to happen to me?  And just when I was ignoring all my money troubles on this trip.

Actually, I had a few good times on my vacation.  Depending on what fucking happens with this rental car verdict, I will either feel good enough to tell you this weekend or some other time when I don't feel like putting a bullet to my head.

Just researched online.  I know I'll be dinged for this "damage."  Fucking rental car companies. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment