Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm Bored, But I Don't Want To Do Anything About It

I came home from work this afternoon wondering if I should go out tonight, just because it's now firmly spring here. I could go to BJ's and watch the Frozen Four Final (and a hell of championship game that was), but they probably would be watching the Wild and Wolves. Besides, I didn't take the car out, the first time in a week, and she needs some rest. And if I didn't go out, I wouldn't be spending money, the first time in over a week I can say I gave my wallet a rest.

After passing out till 6:30 I thought I'd check out the Frozen Four Final game online (it started at 6). Went upstairs to confirm what I saw on ESPN.com; the Timberwolves are getting their asses kicked. Well, that goes spending my night watching them. So I went back downstairs and tried to find a radio station streaming the hockey game online. Thank God for student radio, specifically Boston University's WTBU!

Anyway, that thriller of a game ended around 9. Saturday Night Live was new, but that was an hour and a half away. What was I supposed to do between now and then? I stayed down there to surf the Internet, leaf through the latest edition of Entertainment Weekly that came in the mail today and listened to some college and pro baseball on my satellite radio.

But I have to confess: I was totally bored. I still regret not doing something, anything, more productive. Maybe it could've been just going out and watching a movie, but I really thought long and hard about why I couldn't just be out working this time of night. I mean, there's no college football on, and it's warm out, and reruns on TV are coming very soon, this is the perfect time to find a job.

And yet, even though I was fantastically bored, I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it. No resolve to say, "Monday, I will look for a job," or "I'm going to go out and see a movie." No. I hated wasting my life away, and I did it anyway.

I've been circling around this conclusion for a long time, so I might as well come out and say it: I can tolerate a lot of boredom. I will internally piss and moan about my lack of direction in life, but I know that feeling will pass. Hell, it's happening now, but I still find ways to pass the time to the point I'll look at the clock on my laptop and go, What the hell have I been doing?

Surfing on the Internet kills a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment