Monday, April 6, 2009

The Women In My Life

  • This morning I woke up at 9, saw my mom wasn't stirring yet, so I fell back into my bed. My Grandmother cracked open my open door and said I should help wipe the snow off the minivan. I waved her off: "Later, I'll do it later." I really would've done it if my Mother wanted me to start the car for her. But while I was getting ready she went out and warmed up the car, so she wiped off the snow. And since it's April and the sun did shine for a bit, all the snow on top of the minvan melted by the afternoon.
  • Late tonight, my sister called home. My mom talked to her first downstairs, but I took the upstairs phone and waited in my room. I can hear my Mother when she shouts up from her room, and I heard her tell me it's my turn to talk to my sister. So I turn on the phone and talk to her. But my Grandmother, being all obvious and overreactive again, starts to shout down to my hallway, repeatedly. When my parents ask for me or tell me to do something, many times my Grandmother will repeat what they say, and that always pisses me off, especially if we're all the dinner table together and my Grandmother can see that I've heard them. This time I can just see her get up from watching her Vietnamese movies in her room and immediately shout for me, like an obnoxious Siren on the rocks, and slowly walk my way just in case I didn't hear my Mother. But I usually do, and I did in this case, and I wanted my Grandmother to pipe down, so I interrupted my conversation with my sister, left my room and just yelled my Grandmother's way: "I already heard her!!!" We met at the end of my hallway just when I finished bellowing "her!!!" And she just walked away, like she was saying it's all good, either because she's really cool with me yelling at her or she's senile.
  • I've even had run-ins with my Mother today, even though they've been minor. The big thing was oversleeping when I was supposed to make my KFC run tonight. I said I'd leave at 5:30, but because I was so gosh-darn tired she had to wake me up at 7. And she yelled at me to finish my dinner plate because she was about done cleaning up. (I'm a slow eater.) I didn't appreciate that, but I was kind of an ass tonight, too. Just before midnight I went downstairs and opened up the closet just outside the master bed to grab some shampoo. When I opened the door something banged against its inside. My mom's a pretty sound sleeper, but that probably woke her up. And I should stop presuming that she'll sleep through anything and abuse the wide personal space she deserves when she's sleeping. And I also feel bad for sleeping through the dinner time I promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment