Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Roller Derby Follies, Part I

I love Girl Scout cookies.  Haven't had the chance to buy them because I keep missing them whenever they were selling them.  One Saturday, however, I was walking into My Favorite Coffeeshop (Until Their Wireless Starting Fucking Up) and I saw a table with Girl Scouts selling cookies.  Sweet!  I'll take a box of Trefoils.

And I saw the same thing when I went to the North Star Roller Girls bout last week.  I wanted to try some Lemon Creme ... whatever thingies, and I went down to their table at halftime to buy one.

But whether it was the kids poorly explaining it, me poorly understanding it, or the bizarre purpose of this particular table, it took me a few awkward moments to figure out that this table wasn't for buying Girl Scout cookies.  This was to donate Girl Scout cookies to one of two local organizations.

Now, I don't mean to be a grinch, but I felt a tad misled.  Everybody wants to buy Girl Scout cookies because they want to eat Girl Scout cookies.  Maybe it's just me, but I've never heard of donating them.  Also, is giving boxes of tasty-but-not-nutritious cookies the best thing to give as charity?

I should have walked away ... but ... well, these are kids you're talking about, and they're trying to do the right thing, and even though I thought I was going to purchase a box, I'm kind of stuck with going through with it anyway.  So I "donated" one box to a local group where a family will hopefully eat it as comfort food.

I should feel good.  But I don't.  I felt manipulated.  And now I have to not spend $3.50 somewhere, a predicament compounded by that goddamn 1-2 punch of a credit card late fee and rebates sent too late.

This sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment