Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fuck Four Dollars A Gallon

I'm having a little war with my car because I'm trying to make a political statement to the world, even though the only person who knows about it is myself.  And anybody who might read this.

So I'm going to my night job when I see that the price of gas, which was at $3.85, suddenly jumped to $3.97.  What the fuck?  I needed gas, but now I'm not going to fill it up.  No way, no how, and especially not at this place right next to work.  I noticed that, probably because it's so close to so many restaurants and the highway, its price is a lot higher than gas stations around home.  So I was going to give my car a sip, then fill up all the way closer to home.

When I did, I was shocked: All the stations there were selling at at $3.99.9.  Four bucks, y'all.  I actually slowed down my car and screamed, "Four dollars?!?!?!"  I was absolutely flabbergasted.  This is unprecedented.  I know there are many states that have already broken this frightening threshold.  But what I like about Minnesota is that oftentimes the trends you see at the coasts are negative, and they never reach the middle portion of the United States.  (For example, Ed Hardy; even though there's now a store at the Mall Of America, it took them a long time to infiltrate us.)  Of course, the price of oil affects all of us, and now even us hardy Minnesotans have to face the music.

But not me.  Not yet.  I spilled fifteen bucks into my car on Friday, and as of Saturday afternoon, the fuel gauge in my car is showing I'm running on empty, again.  I really should get more gas.  But all I see is $4/per.

Until that drive home this afternoon.  I see that on this stretch close to my house, gas is running at $3.90 a gallon.  My God, it's a steal!  But I didn't want to do it just then.  I have this thing about pumping gas on back-to-back days.  The fact that I should have just fueled up all the way the first time is too much truth for me to take, so I think I can get by with skipping a day.  Besides, if I brake real hard at a stoplight, the empty light turns itself off.  I have enough gas.

Well, actually I don't.  But I really, really am going to try doing all the shit I want to do this evening (roller derby, blogging right now at a coffeehouse, then getting a bite to eat) before going back to this stretch of highway to fuel it tonight.  And honestly, if I run out of gas while on my way home, that's fine.  I'll call AAA and get some gallons -- for free, because I'm member.  Besides, I've been in the slash many times, and I really, really, really want to know how much gas I really, really, really have in my car's tank:

No comments:

Post a Comment