Wednesday, May 11, 2011

When I leave for work at the end of the day, I have to take a left onto a very congestive road which leads to the highway.  Sometimes I do it like it's no big deal.  Sometimes I wait for minutes.  Sometimes I take a right and then do a U-turn at the next light.  Sometimes I don't even go out that way.

Yesterday I was panicking.  The line of cars coming from the left and the right weren't lining up so that there was a nice, big hole for me to drive into.  It was one of those cases where there was no traffic coming from one side, but there was from the other, so I had to wait, and then the traffic flipped, and I still had to wait.  (I hate left turns.  Unfortunately, this building is situated so that I need to make a few lefts in order to get onto the highway I need to get onto.)

I was getting antsy.  And then, the straw that broke the camel's back: A car pulled up behind me.  Boy, I have bad memories of some car riding my ass while I wait for the perfect opportunity to pull away.  Hate it, hate it, hate it to this day.

So I had to make a rash decision, something that could've gotten me into an accident.  I coast out, make sure the coast wasn't clear (and it wasn't), and even though I was in the left turn lane and had my left blinker on, I immediately jerked my car to the right.  Must've confused the hell out of the guy behind me, who really wasn't bothering me much.  But honestly, I didn't see if there was a car in the right turn lane.  And what happens if the guy behind was being a dick?  There were a couple possibilities where I easily could've gotten into an accident.  Luckily, I didn't.

Worst of all?  Thinking back on it, there's a chance that the guy behind me was someone I work with.  What if he thinks less of me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment