Monday, May 9, 2011

Why Was I Let Go?

It's been a week since I lost my nighttime test scoring position, and the last paycheck from them arrived yesterday, so I don't think they can touch me anymore, at least for now. And yet I'm still kind of confused as to what happened there.

I started work there at the beginning of last month. My project was scheduled to last about six weeks, or until next week. But about two weeks into my project I was told I would be switched over to another project ... which was to last only two weeks. When I was dismissed late last month, I left the place two weeks before I initially thought I was going to leave. That's another $300 I expected but won't get.

Why was I basically fired? Did I do something wrong? Was it because I portrayed a negative attitude? I don't think I did. Was it because I looked unkempt, or I smell? That's the reason I got fired from my last job, and that was a goddamn setup.

Was I too fast? They keep track of how fast you're going through the answers and how accurate you are. I was plenty fast; in fact, I may have been the guy who went through the most papers every night. Is that a good thing? Maybe not. In my old job I was told to keep my numbers up and so I kept working as fast as I could. But that meant I ran out of work most nights, so I wouldn't get the eight hours a night I needed and expected. So I slowed down. I might've hurt my numbers, but at least I got my 8. And once word filtered up that my pace slowed to a glacial pace, I probably lost my job. But I don't give a shit. I felt disrespected to be dispatched so early in my worknight so often. I saw it as a way to get mine, what I deserved.

Was I too good? I was switched from a math problem, one that has a straightforward set of answers to track on each student's page, to two multi-part social studies questions. Maybe they thought I had the competency to deal with more complicated, "right-brain" questions. But did they think that maybe I would rather stick around for an extra two weeks instead of taking up a challenge? I don't know how I'm supposed to feel "respected" by getting tougher prompts if I'm canned two weeks early.

Added to that is the scoring director. He seemed nice enough, but was a little too aloof. Moreover, we ran into each other a couple times in the bathroom. It was awkward to be cordial anyway, but he didn't even acknowledge me while we were in there. Weird. And kind of cold, too.

So it wasn't the greatest place to work. A hell of a lot less friendly than my day job. But still, there were many people there I liked working with. Plus, it's work -- decent work for decent pay. It's money I need. And now I don't have it. And I wonder why the fuck not.

No comments:

Post a Comment